Say goodbye to the old-school oven-cooked turkey and say hello to this flavorful and delicious Smoked Turkey. Nothing beats the flavor of a smoked turkey and using a pellet grill or smoker keeps the meat incredibly moist. Trust us on this. If you haven’t smoked your holiday turkey before, give this recipe a try and we bet you’ll never go back.
How to make Smoked Turkey
Below is everything you’ll need to know to make the perfect Smoked Turkey on your pellet grill, offset or charcoal smoker. There might not even be any leftovers because this meat is so good.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 4 hours
- Total Time: 4 hours
- Cook Temperature: 180ºF and 375ºF
- Finished Temperature: 170ºF
- Wood Flavor: Maple
- Servings: 10-14 people
- Your preference of smoker (I recommend a pellet smoker)
- Commercial grade tinfoil
- Temperature probe
- 1 whole turkey
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 batch of Smoked Chicken Rub
- Start your smoker and get the temperature stable at 180ºF
- Coat your thawed turkey in olive oil and a healthy amount of our Smoked Chicken Rub on the outside of the turkey (don’t be shy with the amount you use!)
- Insert your meat thermometer into the thickest part of the turkey breast
- Place the turkey directly on the grill and smoke for 3 hours at 180ºF
- After 3 hours, increase the temperature to 375ºF and continue to smoke the turkey until it reaches an internal temperature of 170ºF (You’ll also know it’s done when you tug on the wings and the skin rips and pulls away from the turkey easily)
- Remove the turkey from the grill, cover with tin foil, and let rest for 20-30 minutes (Don’t rush this! Your Smoked Turkey needs rest and it’s super HOT!)
- Once your turkey has been well-rested, remove the tinfoil, get your biggest badest knife out and start slicing away at that breast!
BBQ Hero Tip: For added flavor, seperate the skin from the turkey by running your hand between the meat and the skin. Then, take some partially melted butter and slather it between the meat and the skin. This will add some additional flavor and ensure nice and juicy turkey meat!