Get ready for an explosion of flavor with this Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Popper Chicken recipe! This mouthwatering dish combines juicy chicken breasts, spicy jalapeno poppers, and smoky bacon for an unforgettable BBQ experience.
Fear not, my fellow BBQ lovers! This recipe is perfect for both seasoned grill masters and beginners alike. With clear step-by-step instructions, you’ll be able to create this drool-worthy dish with ease. So, whether you’re a novice at the grill or a seasoned pro, you can confidently prepare this amazing meal.
To make the most of this scrumptious recipe, you’ll need some basic BBQ tools like a sharp knife for slicing and prepping the chicken, a mixing bowl for the jalapeno popper filling, and a roasting rack or baking sheet if you’re using an oven. You’ll also want to have a reliable thermometer to ensure your chicken is cooked to perfection.
So, let’s get to it! I hope you love this recipe for bacon wrapped jalapeno popper chicken.
How To Make Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Popper Chicken
Preparing the Jalapenos
Start by cutting the jalapenos in half lengthwise and removing the seeds and ribs. Be sure to wash your hands well after handling the jalapenos to avoid any irritation.
Making the Popper Filling
In a mixing bowl, combine the softened cream cheese, shredded cheddar cheese, and our Sweet Brown Sugar Rub. This brown sugar rub is a delicious combination of brown sugar, salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, ground mustard, cayenne pepper, and oregano. Mix everything together until you have a smooth and uniform mixture similar to whipped cream cheese.
Stuffing the Jalapenos
Carefully press the cream cheese mixture into each jalapeno half. Once filled, put the jalapeno halves back together, forming whole jalapenos again.
Preparing the Chicken Breasts
Lay the chicken breasts on a cutting board and make a horizontal cut in each breast to create a pocket. Be careful not to cut all the way through the chicken. Place a stuffed jalapeno inside each pocket and fold the top flap of the chicken over to cover the jalapeno.
Wrapping the Chicken with Bacon
Wrap each stuffed chicken breast with 3 pieces of bacon, making sure to tuck the ends under the previous bacon piece. This will help keep the bacon in place while cooking.
Cooking the Chicken
Preheat your smoker, oven, or grill to 250F. Cook the bacon-wrapped chicken breasts at this temperature until they reach an internal temperature of 150F, as measured with a meat thermometer.
Applying BBQ Sauce
When the chicken has reached 150F, baste each piece with your favorite BBQ sauce. Use a basting brush or a spoon to spread the sauce evenly over the chicken.
Finishing the Cooking Process
Continue to cook the chicken until the internal temperature reaches 165F. Once it has reached this temperature, remove the chicken from the heat and let it rest for a few minutes before serving. Enjoy your delicious jalapeno popper stuffed chicken!
Recipe Tips For Making Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Popper Chicken
It’s always nice to have a few helpful tips to get started making a new recipe. These easy-to-follow suggestions will ensure your dish turns out perfectly, even if you’re new to cooking or grilling.
- Choose the Right Bacon: When selecting bacon for this recipe, opt for regular thickness slices. Thin bacon may overcook and burn, while thick-cut bacon may not cook evenly with the chicken.
- Manage Heat for Even Cooking: If using a gas or charcoal grill, cook the chicken over indirect heat to prevent flare-ups and ensure even cooking. Turn on only half of the burners and place the chicken on the side with no direct heat.
- Use a Roasting Rack: When cooking in the oven, use a roasting rack over a baking sheet. This allows the bacon fat to drip down, preventing the chicken from becoming too greasy and ensuring a crispy bacon exterior.
- Monitoring Internal Temperature: To avoid overcooked or undercooked chicken, use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature. Cook the chicken until it reaches 150F, then baste with BBQ sauce and continue cooking until it reaches 165F.
- Rest Before Serving: Allow the cooked chicken to rest for a few minutes before serving. This helps the meat to retain its juices and makes for a more tender and flavorful dish.
Perfect Sides for Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Popper Chicken
Looking for the perfect sides to serve with your mouthwatering Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Popper Chicken? Look no further! We’ve compiled a list of the best side dishes that will complement the smoky, spicy, and cheesy flavors of this delectable recipe.
These sides are easy to prepare and will help you create a well-rounded and satisfying meal. Here are our top suggestions:
- Grilled Corn on the Cob: Add a touch of sweetness and smokiness to your meal with perfectly grilled corn on the cob, brushed with melted butter and seasoned with salt and pepper.
- Creamy Coleslaw: Balance the heat of the jalapenos with a cool and refreshing coleslaw, made with cabbage, carrots, and a creamy dressing.
- Potato Salad: A classic BBQ side, potato salad is a great addition to your meal, whether you choose a traditional mayonnaise-based version or a zesty mustard-based one.
- Grilled Vegetables: Enhance the smoky flavor of your meal with a medley of grilled vegetables, such as zucchini, bell peppers, and red onions, seasoned with olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Baked Beans: Serve up some hearty and flavorful baked beans as a side to complement the smoky and savory flavors of the bacon wrapped jalapeno popper chicken.
With these delicious and easy-to-make side dishes, your meal is sure to be a hit with friends and family. Enjoy your BBQ feast!
Best Beer To Serve With Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Popper Chicken
Bacon-wrapped jalapeno popper stuffed chicken is a dish bursting with flavors, so it’s only fitting to pair it with beers that can complement and enhance the experience.
Below are the top 3 types of beers that will elevate this scrumptious recipe and make your taste buds dance with joy.
A crisp, refreshing pale ale is an excellent choice to balance the rich, smoky flavors of the bacon and the spiciness of the jalapeno. The subtle citrus notes in the beer will also help cleanse your palate between bites, making each mouthful a new delight.
With its smooth, malty profile, an amber lager is perfect for cutting through the creaminess of the cheese filling and the bold BBQ sauce. The beer’s slight sweetness will play well with the brown sugar rub used in the recipe, creating a harmonious flavor combination.
The fruity, spicy character of a hefeweizen pairs wonderfully with the spiciness of the jalapeno and the richness of the cream cheese filling. The beer’s light, effervescent body will keep your taste buds refreshed, while its banana and clove notes will add an extra layer of complexity to the overall experience.
More Chicken Recipes
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken Recipe
- Chili Lime Chicken Recipe
- Grilled Bruschetta Chicken Recipe
- Grilled Chicken Cordon Bleu Recipe
Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Popper Chicken Recipe
- Smoker, oven, or gas/charcoal grill
- Sharp Knife
- Mixing Bowl
- Basting Brush
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 4 large jalapenos
- 12 slices of bacon
- 2 tbsp Sweet Brown Sugar Rub
- 1/2 cup your favorite BBQ Sauce
Jalapeno Popper Filling
- 4 oz cream cheese softened
- 4 oz jalapeno and cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 tbsp Sweet Brown Sugar Rub
- Preheat the smoker, oven, or grill to 250F.
- Split the jalapenos in half and remove seeds and ribs.
- In a mixing bowl, combine cream cheese, cheddar cheese, and Sweet Brown Sugar Rub.
- Press the cheese mixture into jalapeno halves and reassemble them.
- Slice chicken breasts horizontally, without cutting all the way through, creating a pocket.
- Stuff each chicken breast with a filled jalapeno, and fold the top flap over.
- Wrap each chicken breast with 3 pieces of bacon, tucking the ends in.
- Cook the chicken at 250F until it reaches an internal temperature of 150F.
- Baste chicken with BBQ sauce when it reaches 150F.
- Continue cooking until the internal temperature reaches 165F.
Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Popper Chicken FAQs
How long does it take to smoke bacon wrapped jalapeno chicken?
The smoking time for bacon wrapped jalapeno popper chicken varies depending on the size of the chicken breasts and the temperature of your smoker or oven. Generally, it takes about 1.5 to 2 hours to smoke the chicken at 250F until it reaches an internal temperature of 165F.
What kind of wood should I use for smoking bacon wrapped jalapeno popper chicken?
When smoking bacon wrapped jalapeno popper chicken, using fruitwood like apple or cherry wood is recommended. These types of wood impart a mild, sweet, and slightly fruity flavor to the dish, which complements the flavors of the chicken, bacon, and jalapenos perfectly.
Can I make bacon wrapped jalapeno popper chicken in an oven if I don’t have a smoker?
Yes, you can definitely make this recipe in an oven if you don’t have a smoker. Simply preheat your oven to 250F and follow the same cooking instructions as you would for the smoker. Make sure to use a roasting rack above a baking sheet so the bacon fat can drip down and not saturate the bottom of your chicken.
How can I ensure the bacon gets crispy while smoking bacon wrapped jalapeno popper chicken?
To ensure the bacon gets crispy while smoking the bacon wrapped jalapeno popper chicken, use regular thickness bacon and cook the chicken at 250F. As the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 150F, baste it with BBQ sauce and continue cooking until the internal temperature reaches 165 F. The bacon should crisp up nicely by the time the chicken is fully cooked.
Can I prepare bacon wrapped jalapeno popper chicken ahead of time?
Yes, you can prepare this recipe ahead of time. Assemble the stuffed chicken and wrap it in bacon, then store it in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours before smoking or baking. Make sure to keep the chicken well covered in plastic wrap or an airtight container to maintain freshness.