Turkey Wings are not very different from chicken wings, except that they’re larger and have more meat. You can serve them as an appetizer or even a main dish! Plus, you don’t have to cook as many wings for everyone as you would normally do if you were serving chicken wings. If you get your hands on turkey wings then nothing can stop you from making the picture-perfect and delicious Smoked Turkey Wings.
Smoked Turkey Wings
Making these smoked turkey wings will be super easy after reading this recipe, we have tried so many ways to cook smoked wings with different flavours, wood chips, and cook time and we’ve come up with this amazing yet simple recipe.
How To Make Smoked Turkey Wings
Step 1: Cut Wings
The first and foremost thing to do is to cut the wings into portions and remove the tips.
Step 2: Mix Your Rub
Now for the mixing part take a small bowl to blend all the spices which are chili powder, sugar, salt, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper combine them really well, these species will take the taste to another level. Just make sure you take the quantity of everything according to the recipe because this will affect the taste.
Step 3: Coat Turkey Wings
Once you have combined all the ingredients it’s time to take the turkey wings and rub them evenly with the blend of spices or toss to combine.
Step 4: Set the temperature
If you want to make your wing’s skin crispy make sure you set the temperature right. In this case, the temperature should be set as high as 275F.
Step 5: Smoke The Wings
Once the temperature is set it is time to actually use the smoker to smoke the turkey wings. There are a few points to keep in mind while using the smoker, use of a smoker rack is absolutely necessary because it will maintain the airflow and this is also important if want the skin of the bird crispy.
Selection of the wood also matters as it will be adding some extra flavouring to the wings. Using woods like hickory or orchard wood would be perfect but you can use other wood chips as well, depending on your taste.
Smoke for about 2 hours, use a thermometer to check the internal temperature of the wings. When the temperature reaches 107F, take them out.
Step 6: Garnish
Well, this one is a bonus once your smoking turkey wings are ready to be served just give it an extra hit of taste by squeezing lime over it, this will make it 10x more flavourful and tantalizing. This recipe can be a perfect appetizer cuisine for your parties or get-togethers.
Tips For Making The Best Smoked Turkey Wings
- For Crispy Wings. Make sure to avoid low temperature and moisture because these 2 things will make the skin of the wings rubbery while cooking. Try to cover the bird in oil and herb avoid wrapping and tenting. The perfect temperature to smoke wings is 275F to 325F.
More Great Smoked Turkey Options
If you’re looking to try other smoked turkey recipes, make sure to give our Smoked Turkey and Smoked Turkey Breast recipes a try as well. They are easy to make and also go well with any smoked sideline.
- Smoked Turkey Brine Recipe
- Smoked Boneless Turkey Breast Recipe
- Smoked Bone in Turkey Breast Recipe
- Smoked Turkey Legs Recipe
- Smoked Spatchcocked Turkey Recipe
Smoked Turkey Wings Recipe
- Wood chunks (apple, cherry, pecan, or hickory wood)
- Small bowl
- 4 turkey wings
- 3 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 limes
- Take the turkey wings and cut them into 3 portions remove the tips and keep the other 2 portions.
- Take a small bowl and mix together all the spices.
- Add this spice mix to turkey wings and toss them really well so that they have a good coat of spices.
- Set the temperature of the smoker to 275F and use wood of your choice for smoke.
- Now put the wings in the smoker and smoke them for about 2 hours make sure the internal temperature reaches 107F.
- When done, take the wings out of the smoker and squeeze lime on it for extra flavor.
Smoked Turkey Wings FAQs
Are smoked turkey wings healthy?
Yes, the smoked turkey wings are healthy as they are extremely rich in protein, calcium, iron, and selenium which are really good for the human body, they share the same nutritional content as the chicken wings there is not much difference but they are bigger in size and of course, they do have more meat on them. You just need to follow our smoked turkey wings recipe.
Is The Turkey Wing Healthy Than The Chicken Wings?
Well, not really. They both have the same amount of nutrients the only difference is the size and the quantity of meat in it.
What Is Served With Smoked Turkey Wings?
There are a number of things that can be served with the turkey. For example, Bay roasted smashed potatoes, green bean and goat cheese salad, coleslaw, sweet potatoes, and chive damper there are soo many more things which you can pair up with the smoked turkey wings
Can you freeze smoked turkey wings?
Yes, you can freeze it but you will have to use aluminum foil to warp the wings in it and then put them in an airtight food container and then try putting them in the freezer.