This scrumptious Grilled Chicken Legs recipe is sure to become a staple in your summer grilling repertoire! Flavorful, juicy, and finger-licking good, these chicken legs will leave you craving more.
This chicken legs recipe is perfect for grillers of all skill levels, from beginners to seasoned BBQ masters. The simple seasonings, easy-to-follow instructions, and versatile sauce options make this a go-to choice for anyone looking to impress friends and family with a delicious grilled meal. All you need is a bit of patience and an adventurous spirit to try different rubs and sauces.
To make these mouthwatering Grilled Chicken Legs, you’ll need a reliable grill, a meat thermometer, and some basic utensils like tongs and a basting brush. With just a few tools and ingredients, you’re all set to create a memorable grilled feast.
As an experienced BBQ recipe blogger, I’m passionate about sharing my love for grilling with my readers. Through countless hours spent perfecting my techniques, experimenting with flavors, and learning from fellow grill enthusiasts, I’ve developed a deep understanding of the art of barbecue.
I can’t wait for you to try this Grilled Chicken Legs recipe and discover the magic of outdoor cooking. Let’s fire up the grill and get started!
How To Make Grilled Grilled Chicken Legs
Preheat the grill
Start by preheating your gas grill for two-zone grilling, ensuring the temperature is at medium-high heat, between 375-400 F.
Prep Chicken Legs
Pat chicken dry with paper towels, drizzle with olive oil, then season them evenly on all sides using garlic salt and black pepper, giving them a flavorful coating. Patting dry with paper towel is the trick to achieving crispy skin and crispy chicken legs.
Grill the Drumsticks
Place the chicken drumsticks on the grill grates and grill over direct heat. Grill chicken legs for 30-35 minutes, turning every 5-7 minutes. Keep grilling until the internal temperature reaches 165F with a meat thermometer. Pay close attention to the internal temperature to ensure juicy chicken legs.
Sauce ‘Em Up
Move the grilled chicken drumsticks over to the indirect heat side of the grill. Baste each chicken leg generously with your choice of Teriyaki BBQ Sauce or any other favorite BBQ sauce.
Set the sauce
Grill chicken drumsticks for an additional 5-10 minutes on the indirect heat side of the grill. During this time, the sauce will set, begin to caramelize, and the internal temperature should reach 175F.
Rest and Serve
Once the BBQ chicken legs are done, remove the grilled drumsticks from the grill and let them rest for a few minutes. Serve them with extra teriyaki BBQ sauce on the side for dipping, and enjoy the best grilled chicken legs you’ve ever tasted!
Tips For Making Best Grilled Chicken Legs
Grilling chicken legs can be a fun and flavorful experience, especially for beginners. To ensure your grilled chicken legs turn out amazing, consider these helpful tips:
- Use a Meat Thermometer: It will help you achieve the perfect internal temperature for your drumsticks, ensuring they’re cooked to a safe and delicious level.
- Cook to Temperature, Not Time: Cooking BBQ chicken legs to the right internal temperature (175 degrees F) is more important than the exact cooking time. Focus on the thermometer reading rather than the clock.
- Avoid Sugar-Based Rubs: Since the drumsticks will be grilled over high heat, avoid using rubs with a high sugar content as they can easily burn and ruin the flavor.
- Two-Zone Grilling: Utilize two-zone grilling with direct and indirect heat. This method helps to evenly cook the drumsticks and set the sauce without burning or overcooking them.
- Get Creative: Feel free to experiment with a different dry rub or BBQ sauce for a personalized and unique grilled chicken drumsticks experience. Additional spices we like to add are onion powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika, chili powder, or cayenne pepper.
Best Beer To Serve With Grilled Chicken Legs
Pairing the perfect beer with your grilled chicken drumsticks can enhance your dining experience and add a little extra flair to your meal. Here are three types of beer that complement the flavors of grilled chicken legs, each offering a unique and delightful pairing.
American Pale Ale
This style of beer has a balanced blend of hoppy bitterness and malty sweetness. The crisp and refreshing taste of an American Pale Ale complements the smoky flavors of the grilled drumsticks while standing up to the bold BBQ sauce, creating a harmonious taste sensation.
A German wheat beer, Hefeweizen boasts fruity and spicy notes that pair exceptionally well with the savory chicken legs. The beer’s effervescence and light body cleanse your palate between bites, allowing you to fully appreciate the flavors of the grilled chicken and tangy BBQ sauce.
The malt-forward profile of an Amber Lager enhances the smoky and caramelized flavors of the grilled drumsticks. The beer’s balanced bitterness and hint of sweetness complement the chicken’s seasoning, creating a mouthwatering combination that’s hard to resist. Cheers to good food and great beer!
More Grilled Chicken Recipes
- Smoked Chicken Legs Recipe
- Smoked Chicken Quarters Recipe
- Chicken Bacon Lollipops Recipe
- Grilled Chicken Thighs Recipe
- Balsamic Grilled Chicken Recipe
Grilled Chicken Legs Recipe
- 2 lbs chicken drumsticks
- 2 tsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Teriyaki BBQ Sauce
- Preheat your grill for two-zone grilling, setting the temperature to medium-high heat (375-400F).
- Season the chicken drumsticks evenly on all sides with garlic salt and black pepper.
- Place the chicken legs on the direct heat side of the grill. Cook for 30-35 minutes, flipping them every 5-7 minutes. Grill until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165F using a meat thermometer.
- Move the grilled drumsticks to the indirect heat side of the grill. Baste them with the Teriyaki BBQ Sauce (or your favorite BBQ sauce).
- Grill the chicken for an additional 5-10 minutes on indirect heat. The sauce should set, start to caramelize, and the internal temperature should reach 175F.
- Remove the grilled drumsticks from the grill and let them rest for a few minutes. Serve with additional teriyaki BBQ sauce on the side for extra dipping. Enjoy the bbq chicken dish!
Grilled Chicken Legs FAQs
How long does it take to grill chicken legs?
Answer: Grilled Chicken Legs usually take around 35-45 minutes to cook. They need 30-35 minutes over direct heat and an additional 5-10 minutes over indirect heat to set the BBQ sauce and reach an internal temperature of 175 degrees F.
What temperature should I grill chicken legs?
Answer: For perfectly cooked Grilled Chicken Legs, set your grill to medium-high heat, or about 375-400 degrees F. It’s important to use a meat thermometer to ensure the chicken legs reaches a safe temperature of 165 degrees F, but aim for 175 degrees F for drumsticks to ensure the meat easily falls off the bone.
How do I know when chicken legs are done on the grill?
Chicken legs are done grilling when they reach an internal temperature of 175 degrees F. Use a meat thermometer to check the temperature while you cook chicken, as this is the most accurate method to ensure perfectly cooked and juicy chicken.
Can I use any BBQ sauce for Grilled Chicken Legs?
Yes, you can use any BBQ sauce for Grilled Chicken Legs. The recipe is very versatile, allowing you to experiment with different sauces each time you make it. Just avoid using sugar-based rubs, as they may burn due to the high heat and extended grilling time.
Do I need to marinate the chicken legs before grilling?
You don’t necessarily need to marinate chicken legs before grilling. In this Grilled Chicken Legs recipe, simply seasoning the chicken legs with garlic salt and black pepper is sufficient. However, if you prefer a more intense flavor, you can marinate the chicken legs in your favorite marinade for a few hours before grilling.
Can I make chicken legs on a charcoal grill?
Yes, you can definitely make chicken legs on a charcoal grill. The key is to set up your charcoal grill for two-zone grilling with direct heat and indirect heat. Start by grilling the chicken legs over direct heat for 30-35 minutes, flipping every 5-7 minutes, until they reach an internal temperature of 165F.
Then, move the chicken legs to the indirect heat side of the grill, baste with your preferred BBQ sauce, and continue grilling for an additional 5-10 minutes until the sauce caramelizes and the internal temperature reaches 175F.