This Smoked Chicken Quarters recipe is going to be the most delicious and scrumptious way you’ve ever tasted chicken! If you are looking for a chicken smoker recipe that you can easily try and get the best flavour out of it, then this is the perfect recipe. Smoked Chicken Quarters are a perfect combination of crispy, tender, and juicy chicken. It is a complete all-in-one package.
Table of contents
Smoked Chicken Quarters
As we know that whenever we smoke chicken, the skin of the chicken becomes rubbery and chewy, so to avoid that there is a simple solution. Before smoking the chicken, you can sear it in a pan. This will give the smoked chicken leg quarters, their perfect and crispy skin, and a lot of flavours.
Who doesn’t like brown-skinned chicken? It tastes amazing because most of the fat is rendered out; when the chicken is seared, the skin becomes thin and crispy, and when you smoke it you get the tender and juicy chicken.
How To Make Smoked Chicken Quarters
Step 1 – Get the smoker ready
Step 2 – Prepare the rub
Step 3 – Rub the chicken
Step 4 – Sear the chicken quarters
Step 5 – Smoke the chicken quarters
Step 6 – Serve
Smoked Chicken Quarters Recipe
- Wood chunks (cherry wood or apple)
- Small bowl
- Large Skillet
- 6 chicken leg quarters
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp Ancho Chile powder
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper optional, adjust the amount to taste,
- 1/2 tbsp vegetable oil for rubbing
- 1/2 cup cooking oil for frying
- Prepare the smoker and set the heat to 275 degrees F.
- Take the chicken quarter and rub them with vegetable oil, making sure there is enough oil on the chicken skin.
- Prepare the rub, take a small bowl, and mix salt, pepper, garlic, and onion powder with some ancho-Chile powder. Mix them well until everything is combined. Or you can get any BBQ rub you feel like, but this homemade rub will give you the best flavor.
- It is time to sprinkle this seasoning onto the chicken leg quarters. Rub evenly on the whole chicken leg. Pat it a bit so that seasonings stick to the chicken leg well.
- Take a large skillet and place it on a medium-high flame, add cooking oil, or you can use butter instead of oil if you want to. Sear the chicken for 2 minutes on each side or until the skin is turned golden brown in color.
- Now when the chicken is all seared. Place it in the smoker, making sure the skin side is up. Smoke it for 1 hour 30 minutes. When the internal temp has reached 190 degrees F take it out of the smoker.
- Remove it from the smoker and let it rest for 3 minutes and then serve with any of your favorite side dishes.
Smoked Chicken Quarters FAQs
Do You Flip Chicken Quarters When Smoking?
How do you keep chicken from getting rubbery when smoking?
Do not cook it at a low temperature. Make sure the temperature is higher than 270 degrees F.
Avoid basting the chicken as this will create moisture, If you want to brine the chicken, try to go for dry brine and do not wrap the chicken in foil as this will create steam and will result in rubbery chicken.