There are as many ways to make barbecue sauce as there are to cook barbecue, and everyone has their own personal favorite recipe. But if you’re looking for a sauce that’s sure to please a crowd, you can’t go wrong with Kansas City BBQ sauce.
Kansas City BBQ Sauce
Kansas City BBQ sauce is a thick, sweet, and tangy sauce that is perfect for slathering on ribs, chicken, or pulled pork and it’s easy to make at home with just a few simple ingredients.
Kansas City is known for its rich barbecue tradition, and Kansas City BBQ sauce is a key part of that tradition. Known as “the ketchup of the Midwest,” this BBQ sauce is beloved by both home cooks and professional chefs alike.
Whether you’re looking for a quick and easy way to add flavor to your weeknight meals or you’re looking to impress your guests at your next cookout, Kansas City BBQ sauce is the perfect choice.
Kansas City BBQ Sauce Recipe
- Medium Saucepan
- Airtight Container
- 14 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup ketchup
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup molasses
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp salt
- 2 tbsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- ½ tsp ground mustard
- Combine all of the ingredients in a medium saucepan
- Whisk frequently over medium heat and bring to a boil
- Once boiling, reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and allow the sauce to cool completely before transferring to an air-tight container.
- You can use this sauce immediately, but refrigerating overnight will result in the best flavour. Refrigerated, this sauce will last for up to two weeks.