The tri-tip, named after its triangular shape, is a great alternative to brisket which takes a long time to cook. This cut of meat can be smoked whole and enjoyed at a medium-rare cook. You’ll be surprised (and impressed) with the amount of flavor this smoked tri-tip recipe gives your meat!
How to make Smoked Tri-Tip
Below is everything you’ll need to know to make the perfect Smoked Tri-Tip on your pellet grill, offset, or charcoal smoker. Like how this one turns out? Let us know in the comments!
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 2-3 hours
- Total Time: 2-3 hours
- Cook Temperature: 180ºF and 450ºF
- Finished Temperature: 145ºF
- Wood Flavor: Oak
- Servings: 4 people
- Your preference of smoker (I recommend a pellet smoker)
- Commercial grade tinfoil
- Temperature probe
- 1 ½ pound of tri-tip roast
- 1 batch of espresso brisket rub
- Start your smoker, grab your pellets, and get the temperature stable at 180ºF.
- Season the tri-tip roast with the espresso rub.
- Place the roast directly on the grill and smoke until the internal temperature is 140ºF.
- Increase the temperature to 450ºF and continue to smoke the tri-tip roast until it reaches 145ºF.
- Remove the tri-tip from the grill and let rest for 10 to 15 minutes.
BBQ Hero Tip: Use a marinade injector to infuse your tri-tip with your favorite marinade for even more juiciness and flavor!