Ham might not be your first choice of meat, but let me tell you, there’s nothing quite like a fresh smoked ham. It’s nothing like your run of the mill pre-smoked and pre-packaged meat. If you’re looking to mix up your smoking routine, give this recipe a go! We love this as an alternative to the traditional turkey at holiday time.
How to make Smoked Ham
Below is everything you’ll need to know to make the perfect Smoked Ham on your pellet grill, offset or charcoal smoker. Who knows, you might even add this into your regular smoking recipe rotation!
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 5 to 6 hours
- Total Time: 5 to 6 hours
- Cook Temperature: 180ºF and 375ºF
- Finished Temperature: 170ºF
- Wood Flavor: Maple
- Servings: 12-15 people
- Your preference of smoker (I recommend a pellet smoker)
- Commercial grade tinfoil
- Temperature probe
- 1 (10-lb) fresh ham with skin removed
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 batch of Not Just Pork Rub
- Start your smoker, grab your pellets, and get the temperature stable of 180ºF.
- Coat your ham in olive oil and follow up by covering the ham in your seasoning
- Place the roast directly on the grill and smoke for 3 hours.
- Increase the temperature to 375ºF and continue to smoke the ham until it reaches 170ºF.
- Remove the ham from the grill and let rest for 10 minutes.
BBQ Hero Tip: Level up your smoked ham by swapping out the rub for a maple glaze to give the ham even more flavour.