Smoked hamburgers are a delicious and easy way to enjoy a summer BBQ. They’re juicy, flavourful, easy to cook, and best of all, smoking hamburgers is a great way to impress your guests. Whether you’re hosting a backyard barbecue or a casual get-together, smoked burgers will be sure to please. So what are you waiting for? Fire up the smoker and get cooking!
Table of contents
Some people say grilling is the only way to go, but we think smoking gives the burger a richer flavour. Plus, it’s easy to do at home with a few simple ingredients. Here’s our recipe for the perfect smoked hamburger.
First, you’ll need some good-quality ground beef. We like to use 80/20 ground chuck for our burgers, but you can use whatever type of beef you prefer. Next, mix in your favourite seasonings. We like to keep it simple with salt, pepper, and garlic powder, but you can get creative and add other spices as well.
Once the burgers are seasoned, it’s time to smoke them. You’ll need a smoker or grill set up for indirect heat. If you’re using a charcoal grill, light the coals and let them burn until they’re covered with grey ash. Then, add your wood chips and place the burgers on the grill grate. Close the lid and let them smoke for about 45 minutes to an hour.
When the burgers are cooked through, remove them from the grill and let them rest for a few minutes before serving. Then, enjoy your perfectly smoked hamburgers!
How To Make Smoked Burgers
- Step 1 – Preheat your grill to 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
If you’re using a charcoal grill, preheat it to 300 degrees Fahrenheit. This temperature will ensure that your burgers are cooked through. If you’re using a pellet grill, the same temperature will work.
- Step 2 – In A Large Bowl, Mix Together All The Ingredients
In a large bowl, mix together the ground beef, salt, black pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder. Make sure to mix the ingredients together thoroughly so that the flavor is evenly distributed.
- Step 3 – Form the mixture into 4 equal patties
Form the mixture into 4 equal patties. You can use a burger press or your hands to form the patties. If you’re using your hands, make sure to be gentle so that you don’t compact the beef too much.
- Step 4 – Place the patties on the grill over indirect heat
Place the patties on the grill over indirect heat and close the lid. You want to cook the burgers slowly so that they don’t dry out. The indirect heat will help to prevent them from burning as well.
- Step 5 – Cook the burgers
Cook for 30 minutes, or until the burgers are cooked through. Use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature of the burgers. They should be at least 160 degrees Fahrenheit before you take them off the grill.
- Step 6 – Remove from the grill and place on burger buns
Remove from the grill and place on burger buns. Add your favorite toppings and enjoy!
- Step 7 – Add cheese and toppings of your choice
Add cheese and toppings of your choice. Serve immediately! Some popular toppings for smoked burgers include BBQ sauce, onion rings, and bacon. Get creative and experiment with different toppings to find your favourite combination.
Tips For Making Smoked Hamburgers
- Season Generously. Seasoning helps bring out the flavour of the smoked meat. Season generously with salt and pepper, or get creative you own unique blend.
- Choose Your Chips. Choose the right wood chips for your smoker. Hickory is a popular choice for smoked burgers, but feel free to experiment with other woods like mesquite or apple.
- Let Them Rest. Let your smoked hamburgers rest for a few minutes before serving. This will help them to retain their juices and stay nice and moist.
More Smoked Burger Recipes
Love the idea of smoking your burgers? Try these related recipes next to take your smoked burger game to the next level.
Smoked Hamburgers Recipe
- BBQ Grill Accessories (Spatula – tool to flip burgers, Tongs, Burger press, etc.)
- Large bowl
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 tsp teaspoon salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- Preheat your grill to 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large bowl, mix together the ground beef, salt, black pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder.
- Form the mixture into 4 equal patties.
- Place the patties on the grill over indirect heat and close the lid.
- Cook for 30 minutes, or until the burgers are cooked through.
- Remove from the grill and place on burger buns.
- Add cheese and toppings of your choice. Serve immediately!
Smoked Hamburger FAQs
It takes about 30 minutes to smoke hamburgers when cooking them under the low and slow method. This ensures that your smoked hamburgers will be nice and juicy.
It takes about 45 minutes to smoke hamburgers at 225ºF. While we recommend smoking hamburgers at 300ºF, smoking at 225ºF works too and will give your burgers an extra amount of delicious smoke flavor!
No, you do not need to flip burgers when smoking. Since your smoker produces even heat all around the hamburger, flipping your burger isn’t necessary.
It takes about 30 minutes to smoke hamburgers at 300ºF. Cooking at 300ºF for 30 minutes will ensure that they are cooked through without becoming burnt.