Are you looking for a delicious and unique twist on the classic chicken burger recipe? Look no further! Our smoked chicken burgers are a crowd-pleaser that will be a hit at any BBQ or family gathering.
The pellet smoker’s smoky flavor and the juicy and tender ground chicken patties are a match made in heaven. This chicken burger recipe is excellent for those who love experimenting with new and delicious flavors, and the difficulty level is considered intermediate.
Whether you’re an experienced pitmaster or just starting with smoking, this chicken burger recipe is sure to impress. The combination of spices and seasonings gives the patties a bold flavor that pairs perfectly with the smoky notes from the smoker. And the best part? This recipe is easy to customize, and you can use any toppings you prefer on the juicy chicken burger in this way these juicy chicken burgers will look really awesome!
Table of contents
How to make smoked chicken burgers
- Step 1: Mix the Chicken Burger Patties
In a large mixing bowl, combine 2 lbs of ground chicken, 1 tsp of salt, 1 tsp of black pepper, 1 tsp of garlic powder, 1 tsp of onion powder, 1 tsp of paprika, 1 tsp of dried thyme, 1 tsp of dried basil, and 1 tsp of dried oregano. Mix all the ingredients together until they are evenly distributed throughout the ground chicken.
- Step 2: Form the Chicken Patties
Divide the mixture into 4 equal portions and shape each portion into a patty. Make sure to handle the patties gently as to not overwork the meat. Place the patties on a plate and set them aside until you are ready to smoke them.
- Step 3: Preheat the Pellet Smoker
Preheat your pellet smoker to 350°F. You can use any type of wood pellet you prefer, such as hickory, mesquite, apple, etc. Once the smoker has reached the desired temperature, it’s time to smoke the chicken burgers.
- Step 4: Smoke the Chicken Burgers
Place the chicken patties on the grates of the pellet smoker and smoke for 30-35 minutes. During this time, the chicken burgers will be infused with the smoky flavor from the wood pellets. Keep a close eye on the internal temperature of the burgers to ensure they reach 165°F. This is the minimum safe temperature for chicken.
- Step 5: Toast the Brioche Buns
While the chicken burgers are smoking, you can lightly toast the brioche buns on the smoker. This will give them a warm, crispy texture and add extra flavor to your smoked chicken burgers.
- Step 6: Assemble and Serve
When the chicken burgers are fully cooked, it’s time to assemble your smoked chicken burgers. Place a patty on the bottom half of a brioche bun, and then add your desired toppings, such as lettuce, tomato, cheese, etc. Finally, top with the other half of the brioche bun and serve hot. Enjoy your delicious homemade chicken burgers! You can also assemble your best chicken burgers with hamburger buns.
Smoked Chicken Burger Quick Tips
Use Ground Chicken: For this smoked ground chicken burger recipe, it’s best to use ground chicken rather than chicken breast or thighs. The ground chicken will hold together better during the smoking process and give you the perfect texture for juicy ground chicken burgers.
Seasoning is Key: Don’t skimp on the seasonings. Mix salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, thyme, basil, and oregano to flavor the patties.
Toast the Buns: Toast the brioche buns on the smoker for a few minutes to add an extra layer of flavor and a crispy texture.
By following these quick tips, you’ll be able to create the perfect smoked chicken burger recipe that is packed with flavor and has a juicy, tender texture.
Best Beer for Smoked Chicken Burgers
- IPA (India Pale Ale) – Its hoppy flavor profile and moderate bitterness pair well with the smoky flavor of the chicken burger, cutting through the richness and balancing the taste.
- Brown Ale – Its nutty and malty flavors complement the smokiness of the chicken, and its sweetness helps balance the spicy condiments you may put on the burger.
- Wheat Beer – Light and refreshing, with a hint of sweetness and citrus notes, this type of beer is an excellent match for the juicy and smoky chicken burger, contrasting its richness.
Smoked Chicken Burgers
- Large Mixing Bowl
- 2 lbs 2 lbs ground chicken
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 4 brioche buns
- Mix together ground chicken, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, thyme, basil, and oregano in a large bowl.
- Divide mixture into 4 equal portions and shape each into a patty.
- Preheat the pellet smoker to 350°F.
- Place patties on the smoker grates and smoke for 30-35 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F.
- Toast brioche buns on the smoker for a few minutes until lightly toasted.
- Assemble burgers with desired toppings and serve hot. Enjoy!
Smoked Chicken Burgers FAQs
The ingredients for the patties include 2 lbs of ground chicken for smoked ground chicken burger, salt, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, dried thyme, dried basil, and dried oregano.
The chicken burgers should be smoked for 30-35 minutes or until they reach an internal temperature of 165°F.
No, it’s best to use ground chicken for this recipe. The ground chicken will hold together better during the smoking process and give you the perfect texture for a juicy smoked ground chicken burger.
You can use any type of wood pellet you prefer, such as hickory, mesquite, apple, etc.
The chicken burgers are fully cooked when they reach an internal temperature of 165°F.
Yes, you can make the patties in advance and keep them in the refrigerator until you are ready to smoke them.
Yes, you can use any type of bun you prefer, but brioche buns are recommended for a sweet and soft texture that complements the smoky flavor of the chicken.
Yes, you can add any additional seasonings you prefer.
No, you don’t have to toast the buns on the smoker, but it’s recommended as it adds an extra layer of flavor and a crispy texture.
The smoked chicken burgers can be served with your favorite toppings, such as lettuce, tomato, cheese, etc. Serve hot and enjoy!