This Smoked Chicken Quarters recipe is going to be the most delicious and scrumptious way you’ve ever tasted chicken! If you are looking for a chicken smoker recipe that you can easily try and get the best flavour out of it, then this is the perfect recipe. Smoked Chicken Quarters are a perfect combination of crispy, tender, and juicy chicken. It is a complete all-in-one package.
Smoked Chicken Quarters
As we know that whenever we smoke chicken, the skin of the chicken becomes rubbery and chewy, so to avoid that there is a simple solution. Before smoking the chicken, you can sear it in a pan. This will give the smoked chicken leg quarters, their perfect and crispy skin, and a lot of flavours.
Who doesn’t like brown-skinned chicken? It tastes amazing because most of the fat is rendered out; when the chicken is seared, the skin becomes thin and crispy, and when you smoke it you get the tender and juicy chicken.
How To Make Smoked Chicken Quarters
Step 1 – Get the smoker ready
Like any other smoker recipe, this one also requires you to prep the smoker first. Turn up the heat and set it to 275 degrees F. Preheating the smoker is really important when it comes to smoking any kind of meat. Use the cherry wood or apple wood chunks for the smoke flavour We are using these because they have a lighter flavour and these woods do not overcome the flavour of the meat. In fact, they enhance the flavour.
Step 2 – Prepare the rub
There is nothing better than a homemade rub for chicken. Why go for processed factory-made rubs when you can make your own at home. This dry rub requires just a few ingredients and little to no effort. Take a small bowl and mix salt, pepper, garlic, onion powder, and ancho chilies. Mix them until they are well combined. And here you go, your homemade spice rub is ready to be used.
Step 3 – Rub the chicken
Take a bowl, and place the chicken leg quarters in it. Add some vegetable oil and give the chicken a good massage with the oil. Once it is completely slathered in oil, it is time to sprinkle the homemade dry rub. Rub the chicken quarters evenly with the spice rub.
Step 4 – Sear the chicken quarters
Now it is time to sear the seasoned chicken quarters. Take an iron skillet and add oil to it. You can use butter as well if you want to, this will give it a nice flavour and amazing dark colour. Set the flame to medium heat and place the skillet over it. Now take the chicken quarters and sear them for about 2 mins on each side. By searing it, the excess fat will be rendered out and you will be left with super crispy and golden brown skin with tender meat.
Step 5 – Smoke the chicken quarters
As the chicken is all set after searing, it is now time to give it a smoky flavour. Place the chicken on the pellet grill and put in the preheated smoker. Smoke the chicken for about 1 hour 30 minutes, during this time the meat will absorb all the flavour of the smoke and will be cooked completely. Use an instant-read thermometer to check the temperature of the smoked meat as soon as it hits 190 degrees F. Remove it from the smoker. Place it aside and let the smoked chicken rest for about 3-5 minutes.
Step 6 – Serve
Your smoked chicken quarters are ready to be served with pasta salad or baked beans or anything you feel like eating with. This is a perfect, delicious, and easy-to-cook dinner cuisine with sweet smoke flavour.
More Great Smoked Chicken Options
If you’re looking to try other smoked chicken recipes, make sure to give our Smoked Chicken Thighs, Smoked Chicken Breast, or our Smoked Whole Chicken Recipes a try as well. They are easy to make and also go well with any smoked sideline.
Smoked Chicken Quarters FAQs
Do you flip chicken quarters when smoking?
For this recipe, it is not really required to flip them, as they will get cooked evenly if they sit there. But if you want to flip them, then it is recommended you don’t do that often.
How do you keep chicken from getting rubbery when smoking?
There are a few things to keep in mind if you don’t want the chicken to be rubbery when you smoke it.
Do not cook it at a low temperature. Make sure the temperature is higher than 270 degrees F.
Avoid basting the chicken as this will create moisture, If you want to brine the chicken, try to go for dry brine and do not wrap the chicken in foil as this will create steam and will result in rubbery chicken.
What to spray on chicken when smoking?
You can use cooking oil or melted butter to spray on the chicken while it is smoking. It will give the chicken a good and tasty crispy skin.
Does smoking meat cook it?
Yes, Smoking is a method of cooking meat or any other food. In this process, the meat is cooked slowly and smoked at the same time.
Smoked Chicken Quarters Recipe
- wood chips
- Instant read thermometer
- 6 chicken leg quarters
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp Ancho Chile powder
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper optional, adjust the amount to taste,
- 1/2 tbsp vegetable oil for rubbing
- 1/2 cup cooking oil for frying
- Prepare the smoker and set the heat to 275 degrees F.
- Take the chicken quarter and rub them with vegetable oil, making sure there is enough oil on the chicken skin.
- Prepare the rub, take a small bowl, and mix salt, pepper, garlic, and onion powder with some ancho-Chile powder. Mix them well until everything is combined. Or you can get any BBQ rub you feel like, but this homemade rub will give you the best flavor.
- It is time to sprinkle this seasoning onto the chicken leg quarters. Rub evenly on the whole chicken leg. Pat it a bit so that seasonings stick to the chicken leg well.
- Take a large skillet and place it on a medium-high flame, add cooking oil, or you can use butter instead of oil if you want to. Sear the chicken for 2 minutes on each side or until the skin is turned golden brown in color.
- Now when the chicken is all seared. Place it in the smoker, making sure the skin side is up. Smoke it for 1 hour 3o minutes. When the internal temp has reached 190 degrees F take it out of the smoker.
- Remove it from the smoker and let it rest for 3 minutes and then serve with any of your favorite side dishes.