Smoked Leg of Lamb recipe is so tender because of the fat over them. This fat melts and gets absorbed in the smoked lamb leg, which makes the lamb leg more tender and juicy. You will be in love with this smoked lamb recipe, pair it up with a beer (check out Craft Beer Guide to find a brewery near you), and enjoy. This could be the perfect recipe for any special occasion.
Smoked Leg of Lamb
Lamb’s leg is normally available in two cuts. one is the lower shank and the other is the upper sirloin end. These are the most common ones which are used. The upper sirloin end has more fat on it, and it is cooked easily and evenly. The reason for that is it’s quite easy to carve it.
For this recipe use a bone-in leg because it will be a lot easier and more convenient to cook. Although you can use a boneless leg, it will take some time to cook, unlike any other meat. So if you want to keep it simple and straightforward, just use the bone-in leg to save some time as well.
Smoked lamb leg with garlic and herb paste rubbed all over it makes it even tastier than you can imagine.
Out of all the lamb recipes, this is going to be the most delicious and surprisingly easy. This smoked lamb leg will look so good on the dinner table served as dinner cuisine. If you follow the exact instructions given below you will get the best result which will mesmerize your taste buds.
How To Make Smoked Leg of Lamb
Step 1 – Prepare the smoker
It is important to follow every step of smoked leg of lamb recipe.
Step 2 – Make garlic and herb paste
Step 3 – Marinate Lamb Leg
Step 4 – Smoke Lamb Leg
Step 5 – Remove From Smoker
Step 6 – Serve lamb leg hot and smoked
Tips For Making The Best Smoked Leg Of Lamb
- Leave The Fat. Do not cut the fat off as it will melt while smoking and will give the lamb amazing flavour and also it will keep it moist and tender. You will going to love the smoked leg of lamb recipe.
Smoked Leg Of Lamb Recipe
- Smoker Pellets or wood chips (applewood, cherry wood)
- Food processor or blender
- Ziplock bag or Pan
- Kitchen twine
- 1 7 pounds of lamb leg (bone-in)
- 1 cup olive oil
- 6 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 10 garlic cloves
- 12 Fresh rosemary sprigs
- 12 Fresh thyme sprigs
- 4 shallots
- 1/2 cup kosher salt
- 2 tbsp black pepper
- Preheat the smoker to 250 degrees F. Add the wood chips to the coals for smoke.
- Use a food processor to blend all the ingredients except the Lamb Leg (Obviously). Blend everything well so that they form a semi-liquid state.
- Now take the leg of the lamb and completely cover it with this paste. Make sure it is spread evenly all over the leg.
- It’s time to smoke lamb leg, place the lamb leg on the grill. Smoke the leg until the internal temperature reaches 145 degrees F.; when it reaches this temperature, this means the lamb is ready.
- Now take the smoked leg out of the smoker and wrap it in aluminum foil, then set it aside for about 30 minutes, and then slice it.
Smoked Leg of Lamb FAQs
It takes about 2-3 hours for the lamb’s internal temperature to reach 145 Degrees F. This is the temperature at which it is cooked properly. Although if you are using boneless lamb it might take a bit longer to cook.
It has a gamey flavour and tender texture. That is because the fat content in it is much higher than in beef. And this gives it a pleasant yet strong flavour with a hint of smokiness.
Hickory is traditionally used to smoke lamb. It gives a nice, strong flavour to the lamb meat; but applewood is also quite popular. It gives a mild flavour to it.
There are a couple of things that can help combat the aroma of lamb and that is garlic and lemon, these both can help in reducing the strong smell of the lamb.