Hosting summer bbq party and not grilling hot dogs! You are missing the most scrumptious part of BBQ. We recommend you try this recipe once, and we guarantee that every time you BBQ, smoked hot dogs will be your favorite part. Smoking hot dogs give them a juicy texture and delicious smokey flavor. Above all, when topped up with favorite bbq sauce, there is nothing better than this!
Smoked hot dogs have taken North America’s smoked dishes to a whole next level of taste. These grilled hot dogs can be served as a snack or a side order. You can also use a smoked hot dog in hamburgers or with hot dog buns to make a meal. If you serve these hot dogs directly with a side of smoked corn on the cob, smokey coleslaw, classic potato salad, and homemade french fries, it can be a perfect blast of flavors.
How to make Smoked Hot Dogs
There are several smoked hot dog recipes, but this recipe is our favorite and best because we have broken down the best methods, ingredients, and best tools that are used in smoked hot dogs recipe. It’s a quite simple and easy process. Grab your pellet smoker, your favorite hot dogs, wood chips, and garnishing. Let’s walk through the detailed process of smoked hot dogs.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Cook Temperature: 225ºF
- Finished Temperature: 155ºF
- Wood Flavor: Applewood, Competition or Hickory
- Your preferred smoker (I recommend a pellet smoker)
- BBQ temperature probe
- BBQ tongs
- Sheet pan
- 1 package of your choice of hot dogs (see our recommendations below)
- Hot dog buns
- 1 sliced onion (optional)
- 3 cloves of garlic (optional)
- BBQ rubs
- 1/2 cup apricot jam (for the dip)
- 1/4 cup sweet chili sauce (for the dip)
- Lemon juice 1/2 (for the dip)
- Start your smoker and get the temperature stable at 225ºF.
- Remove your hot dogs from the packaging and place them on the smoker.
- Prepare the dip for smoked hot dogs.
- Let your hot dogs smoke for an hour or until they have reached an internal temperature of 155ºF.
- Remove from the grill, fix your bun, add your choice of condiments, and serve your prepared meal.
BBQ Hero Tip: Our recommendations for the best hot dogs for smoking are:
Grimm’s Sizzlin Smokies (All Beef): Amazing flavor without all the fillers
Kirkland Signature Beef Hot Dogs: Enjoy that delicious Costco hot dog right at home
Oscar Mayer Classic Beef Franks: Can’t go wrong with this classic option
Detailed Cooking Instructions
1) Preheat your smoker
You have several wood choices. Add desired wood chips to the smoker and light it up. I would recommend using hickory wood chips because I have tried them and had the best smoke flavor. Get the temperature stable at 225ºF. This is the best temperature at which you can smoke your hot dogs.
2) Put the hot dogs on the grill grates
There is a wide range range of hot dogs available, some of them are. Purchase your favorite hot dogs from the nearest store. Take a cooking tray and spread bbq dry rub seasoning. Unpack the hot dogs. Roll out each hot dog onto that dry rub seasoning until the hot dogs are nicely covered, and then put them directly into the smoker.
3) Making the perfect hot dog dip
While the hot dogs are set in the smoker for smoking, you can prepare a delicious dip. You can make any dip you like. I love apricot dip, so for making that, take a small mixing bowl. Add all the dip ingredients mentioned and whisk it well. You can also use a hand blender if needed. Do not stop until a paste consistency is formed.
4) Smoking hot dogs at a perfect temperature and time
Let the hot dogs smoke in the smoker with a preheated temperature of 225ºF. Let them smoke for about an hour. Keep on turning the sides to have a good grill marking on hot dogs and it will give you a beautiful texture. Check the internal temperature of hot dogs. If it is 155ºF, it means they are done. Upon measuring if this is not the temperature, keep them on the grill for another 30 minutes or until your get 155ºF internal temperature.
5) For serving your smoked hot dog meal
When the desired internal temperature is acquired, remove the smoked hot dogs from the grill.
You can take hot dog buns and place them in with a topping of some mustard sauce and bbq sauce. You can also add on some diced pickles.
There are several ways of enjoying these smoked hot dogs.
- You can serve it with the apricot dip we have prepared.
- Or you might enjoy raw Smoked hot dogs with some of your favorite toppings such as bbq sauce, ketchup, or smokey coleslaw.
This smoked hot dog recipe will give the most tempting smoke flavor you have ever tasted.
BBQ tip: Fill in the water pan, for added flavour, you can add onion slices or garlic cloves. This is an optional step if you want to go with it or not it is up to you.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long does it take for making smoked hot dogs?
If the grill temperature is at 225ºF, it will take about an hour to smoke the hot dogs perfectly. If you like bold flavors to enjoy a hard smoke taste, you might smoke it for 30 more minutes. Then all together, it will be 1 hour and 30 minutes.
What temperature do I smoke hot dogs?
The optimal temperature of smokers for smoking hot dogs is 225ºF. Use a temperature probe to measure the internal temperature of the hot dog. If it is 155ºF, consider it done.
Can you smoke burgers and hot dogs?
Yes, you can smoke burgers and hotdogs. But temperature and time will be different. The optimal temperature to smoke the burgers and hotdogs is 225ºF to 240ºF.
Is smoked sausage the same as a smoked hot dog?
Smoked hot dogs and smoked sausages are almost the same things. Any food made up of ground or finely minced meat, fat, and spices are called a sausage. Whereas the term hot dog is being used since the late ’80s. Sausage is a generic term used for all sorts of tubular meat food.
Is it better to boil or smoke hot dogs?
When you boil your hot dogs, they might lack the perfect flavor tend to be soggy. Smoked hot dogs are juicy and have a delicious smokey flavor. So, it’s better to smoke your hot dogs.
Which is the best brand for a hot dog?
There are a lot of brands that selling the best hot dogs. We have compiled a list of the most famous brands for you.
- Nathan’s Famous Skinless Beef Franks
- Niman Ranch Fearless Uncured Beef Franks
- Hebrew National Bun Length Beef Franks
- Safeway Signature Select Beef Franks
- Fork In The Road Mighty Good Dogs
- Boar’s Head Lite Beef Frankfurters
- Farmer John Jumbo Wieners
All of these are top-line brands.
Is smoked sausage healthier than smoked hot dogs?
Yes, sausages are healthier than hot dogs. Sausages are a bit larger in size than hot dogs. As the size is bigger, it contains more calories, proteins, and minerals such as phosphorus, selenium, zinc, and Vitamin B12.