Chicken thighs are the perfect meat to smoke on your grill. They are easy to find at the supermarket, cost friendly, and almost impossible to mess up on the grill! What more do you need?! Give this Smoked Chicken Thigh recipe a try and enjoy the added smoke flavor of your chicken.
How to make Smoked Chicken Thighs
Below is everything you’ll need to know to make the perfect Smoked Chicken Thighs on your pellet grill, offset or charcoal smoker. These are great for game day, family BBQ night, or just about any other occasion!
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 2 hours
- Total Time: 2 hours, 15 mins
- Cook Temperature: 180ºF and 375ºF
- Finished Temperature: 170ºF
- Wood Flavor: Hickory
- Servings: 4 people
- Your preference of smoker (I recommend a pellet smoker)
- Commercial grade tinfoil
- Temperature probe
- 4 chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 batch Chicken Dry Rub
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- Start your smoker, grab your pellets, and get the temperature stable of 180ºF.
- Season your chicken thighs with olive oil and season with the Chicken Rub.
- Place the thighs directly on the grill and smoke for 1 ½ hours.
- Base the thighs with butter and increase the temperature to 375ºF.
- Cook until the internal temperature of the chicken thighs reaches 170ºF.
- Remove the grill and let rest for 10 minutes before enjoying.
BBQ Hero Tip: Instead of a rub, try using your favorite BBQ sauce on the chicken for a different flavor.