This Smoked Buffalo Chicken Dip is an incredibly delicious appetizer that will be a hit at any gathering! It’s an amazing dip that combines smoky chicken, rich cheese, and tangy buffalo sauce for a flavor explosion in every bite.
Don’t worry about needing any special skills to create this mouthwatering dish. Whether you’re new to the BBQ world or a seasoned pro, you’ll find this classic buffalo chicken dip recipe easy to follow. I’ve broken down the steps in a simple way so that anyone can make this incredible dip.
For this recipe, you’ll need some basic tools, like a smoker or oven, mixing bowls, and a 12-inch cast iron skillet. If you don’t have a smoker, don’t fret – you can still make this tasty dish using an oven. The cast iron skillet is perfect for getting that even heat distribution, ensuring a perfectly melted and bubbly dip.
Since 2005 I’ve been on a mission to help others improve their grilling and smoking skills by sharing simple tips, delicious recipes, and credible product reviews. With years of experience and a passion for everything BBQ, you can trust that I’ve tested this recipe to perfection. Join me as we explore the secrets of fantastic BBQ dishes and products, and elevate your appetizer game with this Smoked Buffalo Chicken Dip!
How To Make Smoked Buffalo Chicken Dip
Preheat and Prep
Start by preheating your smoker or oven to 350°F. Then, gather all your ingredients so you have them ready when needed.
Create Cheese Mixture
In a mixing bowl, combine the softened cream cheese, sour cream, shredded pepper jack cheese, and ranch seasoning. Give it a good stir until it’s well mixed. Spread this mixture evenly in the bottom of a 12-inch cast iron skillet.
Prepare Buffalo Chicken
In another bowl, mix together the shredded smoked chicken and Buffalo sauce. Make sure the chicken is coated evenly. Now, spread this layer over the cheese mixture in the skillet.
Add Blue Cheese
It’s time to add more cheese! Take your crumbled blue cheese and sprinkle it over the Buffalo chicken layer.
Smoke or Bake the Dip
Put the skillet with the dip into your preheated smoker or oven. Cook it for about 15 minutes. You’ll know it’s ready when it’s bubbly and the blue cheese is melted.
Garnish and Serve
Remove the skillet from the heat. Add the finishing touches by sprinkling minced red onion and chopped cilantro on top. Serve your hot, delicious dip with your favorite dippers like veggies, chips, or crostini. Enjoy!
Tips For Making Smoked Buffalo Chicken Dip
If you’re new to smoking and BBQ, you might find it helpful to have a few tips to make this Smoked Buffalo Chicken Dip recipe a success. Here are some simple suggestions that will make the process easier and more enjoyable for beginners:
- Don’t Skip the Preheat! Ensure you preheat your smoker or oven to 350°F before cooking the dip. This will ensure the dish cooks evenly and the cheese melts properly.
- Choose the Right Wood. If using a smoker, consider using fruitwood pellets, such as apple or cherry, for a mild and slightly sweet smoky flavor that complements the buffalo sauce and chicken.
- Shred the Chicken in Advance. Save time by shredding your smoked chicken breasts ahead of time. You can even use rotisserie chicken if you’re short on time or don’t have smoked chicken available.
- Keep an Eye on the Cooking Time. Watch the dip closely during the 15-minute cooking time. The goal is to have a bubbly, melted dip – if it’s not quite there yet, give it a few more minutes. Be careful not to overcook, as this can cause the cheese to become too oily or separated.
Best Beer To Serve With Smoked Buffalo Chicken Dip
Nothing pairs better with a flavorful, smoky appetizer like the Smoked Buffalo Chicken Dip than a refreshing beer. To elevate your BBQ experience, I’ve picked out the top 3 types of beer that complement this amazing dip. So, grab a cold one, and let’s dive into the perfect beer pairings!
American Pale Ale
The balanced hoppy flavors and moderate bitterness of an American Pale Ale are an excellent match for the smoky, spicy, and cheesy notes of the Buffalo Chicken Dip. This beer style helps to cut through the richness of the dip while enhancing the tangy buffalo sauce and smoked chicken flavors.
This light and fruity German wheat beer is an ideal choice to complement the rich, creamy elements of the Smoked Buffalo Chicken Dip. The subtle hints of banana and clove in a Hefeweizen are a refreshing contrast to the bold flavors of the dip, making every bite a delightful experience.
Crisp, clean, and with a touch of malt sweetness, a Pilsner is perfect for cutting through the richness of the dip and cleansing your palate. Its light body and subtle hoppy notes won’t overpower the bold flavors of the buffalo sauce, smoked chicken, and cheese, creating a harmonious balance between the beer and the dip.
- Smoked Chicken Quarters Recipe
- Grilled Lemon Pepper Chicken
- Grilled Chicken Cordon Bleu Recipe
- Grilled Chicken Parmesan Recipe
Smoked Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Smoker Pellets
- 12" cast iron skillet
- Mixing Bowl
- Mixing Spoon
- 2 cups shredded chicken
- 1 cup Frank's Buffalo Wing Sauce
- 16 oz shredded pepper jack cheese
- 8 oz softened cream cheese
- ⅔ cup sour cream
- 1 tbsp ranch seasonings
- 4 oz blue cheese crumbles
- 1 tbsp minced red or green onions
- 1 tbsp roughly chopped cilantro
- Preheat your smoker (or oven) to 350°F.
- In a bowl, mix cream cheese, sour cream, pepper jack cheese, and ranch seasoning. Spread this on the bottom of a 12-inch cast iron skillet.
- Mix the Buffalo sauce with smoked chicken. Spread this over the cheese mixture.
- Sprinkle crumbled blue cheese on top of the Buffalo chicken.
- Smoke or bake the dip for about 15 minutes, until melted and bubbly.
- Remove from heat and garnish with onions and cilantro.
- Serve hot with your favorite dippers like veggies, chips, or crostini. Enjoy!
Smoked Buffalo Chicken Dip FAQs
Can you leave Buffalo Chicken Dip out all night?
No, it is not safe to leave a Buffalo Chicken Dip out all night. Perishable foods like this dip, containing dairy products and chicken, should not be left at room temperature for more than 2 hours. If left in a warm crockpot, it can safely sit out for about 6 hours. After that, bacteria may start to grow, making it unsafe to consume.
How long does Buffalo Chicken Dip stay good for?
When stored properly in an airtight container in the refrigerator, smoked Buffalo Chicken Dip can stay good for up to 3-4 days. Make sure to reheat it properly before serving.
Does Buffalo Chicken Dip need to be refrigerated?
Yes, Buffalo Chicken Dip needs to be refrigerated due to the dairy products and chicken it contains. Store the leftover buffalo chicken dip in an airtight container to maintain its freshness and prevent contamination.
What if my Buffalo Chicken Dip is too runny?
If your Buffalo Chicken Dip is too runny, try adding more shredded cheese or cream cheese to thicken it up.
Can you serve Buffalo Chicken Dip at room temperature?
While Smoked Buffalo Chicken Dip can be served at room temperature, it is best enjoyed warm. The flavors and texture are more appealing when the dip is heated, and the cheese is gooey and melted. Also, keep in mind that it should not sit out at room temperature for more than 2 hours to ensure food safety
What do you eat with Smoked Buffalo Chicken Dip?
Buffalo Chicken Dip pairs well with various dippers such as celery sticks, tortilla chips, thin-sliced baguettes, or crackers. You can also serve it with fresh veggies like carrots, cucumber, and bell pepper slices for a healthier option.