This Balsamic Grilled Chicken recipe is a mouthwatering dish with a tangy, sweet marinade that’s perfect for a delicious weeknight dinner or even a special occasion.
No need to worry if you’re a beginner on the grill; this balsamic grilled chicken recipe is suitable for all levels of expertise. Just follow my step-by-step instructions, and you’ll be cooking up a storm in no time.
The key is to get that perfect balance of marinade flavors and grilling time to achieve tender, juicy chicken with a delightful char. Our easy balsamic chicken marinade makes all of this easier than ever.
As for the tools you’ll need, this recipe is all about simplicity. A gas or charcoal grill, grill tongs or a spatula, a large bowl, a meat thermometer, a plate, and some aluminum foil are all you need to create this crowd-pleasing dish.
With years of experience in grilling and smoking, I’m here to share my tried-and-true recipes, tips, and tricks to help you become the master of your own BBQ. So, grab your apron and let’s get grilling this amazing balsamic grilled chicken!
How To Make This Balsamic Grilled Chicken Recipe
Marinate the Chicken
In a large bowl, mix together the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, honey, black pepper, salt, Italian seasoning, and minced garlic to create your marinade. Add the chicken breasts to the bowl, making sure they are well-coated in the marinade. Let them soak up the flavors for 4-8 hours in the refrigerator.
Preheat the Grill
When you’re ready to cook, preheat your gas or charcoal grill to 375°F. Give it about 15 minutes to get hot and ready for your chicken.
Grill the Chicken
Take the marinated chicken out of the bowl, giving it a light shake to remove any excess marinade. Place the chicken directly onto the preheated grill grates. Close the lid and cook for 7-8 minutes.
After that, flip the chicken, close the lid again, and cook for another 7-8 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 162°F in the thickest part of the breast.
Rest the Chicken
Once the chicken is cooked, transfer it to a plate and cover it with aluminum foil. Let the chicken rest for about 5 minutes, allowing the temperature to rise to a safe 165°F.
Serve and Enjoy
Your Balsamic Grilled Chicken is now ready to be served! You can enjoy it on its own or with a tasty side like salad, pasta, or rice. Dig in and savor the delicious flavors of this easy-to-make dish.
Tips For Making Balsamic Grilled Chicken
Here are some easy and helpful tips for beginners looking to make this Balsamic Grilled Chicken recipe a success.
- Marinating Time: To ensure your chicken soaks up the flavors, marinate for at least 4 hours. For even better results, marinate for up to 8 hours.
- Grill Temperature: Make sure your grill is preheated to 375°F. This temperature helps to cook the chicken quickly while keeping it juicy and tender.
- Grill Marks: For picture-perfect grill marks, start by placing your chicken breasts on the grill grates at an angle. After 4 minutes, rotate each piece to the opposite angle. When you flip the chicken, you’ll see those beautiful grill marks!
- Meal Prep: This recipe is great for meal prep. Cook a big batch of chicken and use it throughout the week in salads, pasta dishes, grain bowls, or soups. Just let the chicken cool for 30 minutes before storing it in a ziplock bag in the fridge.
Variations and Flavor Twists
Balsamic Chicken is already a versatile dish, but if you’re feeling adventurous, you can mix things up by tweaking the balsamic chicken marinade or trying different flavor profiles.
For example, you can use a different type of vinegar, like red wine vinegar, apple cider vinegar, or honey balsamic, for a unique twist on the classic balsamic taste.
Herbs & Spices
Feel free to get creative with herbs and spices, too. Fresh rosemary, thyme, or oregano can all bring an interesting depth of flavor to your marinade. For a more Mediterranean flair, swap the Italian seasoning with Greek seasoning, and add some crumbled feta cheese on top of the cooked chicken.
If you prefer a spicier kick, consider adding red pepper flakes or a splash of hot sauce to the marinade
Swap The Chicken Breasts
If you’re not a fan of chicken breasts or you’re looking for a more budget-friendly alternative, you can easily substitute the chicken breasts for boneless, skinless chicken thighs.
Not only are thighs often juicier and more tender, but they also pack a punch of flavor that pairs perfectly with the balsamic marinade.
Or, if you’re catering to a vegetarian crowd or want a meat-free alternative, try using the balsamic marinade on hearty vegetables like portobello mushrooms, eggplant, or even tofu.
Perfect Pairings: Side Dish & Beverage Ideas
Create a delightful dining experience by serving your grilled balsamic chicken with the right side dishes and drinks. For a light and refreshing accompaniment, consider a mixed green salad with cherry tomatoes, cucumber, and a simple vinaigrette.
If you’re in the mood for something more substantial, try roasted or grilled vegetables, like asparagus, bell peppers, or zucchini. You could also serve the chicken over a bed of pasta or rice, dressed with a light garlic and herb sauce.
As for drinks, a crisp white wine like Pinot Grigio or Sauvignon Blanc would complement the tangy and sweet flavors of the chicken. For a non-alcoholic option, try a refreshing lemon or lime-infused sparkling water, which will pair nicely with the tangy balsamic flavors.
If you’re more of a beer enthusiast, keep reading for our expert beer pairing suggestions.
Best Beer To Serve With Balsamic Grilled Chicken
Let’s talk about the perfect brews to enjoy alongside our tasty Balsamic Grilled Chicken. Here are my top 3 beer recommendations to elevate your meal and tickle your taste buds:
A crisp, clean pilsner is an excellent choice to cut through the tangy and sweet flavors of the balsamic marinade. The lightness of the pilsner helps to refresh your palate, making each bite of chicken even more enjoyable.
American Pale Ale
For those who enjoy a hoppy beer with a bit more character, an American Pale Ale is a great match for this dish. The subtle bitterness from the hops and the citrus notes in the APA will complement the zesty, flavorful chicken perfectly.
If you prefer something with a bit more maltiness, go for an Amber Ale. The balanced combination of malt and hops in this beer style will harmonize with the balsamic marinade’s sweetness and savory flavors, creating a delightful dining experience.
More Delicious Grilled Chicken Recipes
- Grilled Chicken Salad Recipe
- Grilled Chicken Kabobs With Vegetables
- Pellet Grill Chicken Breast Recipe
- Grilled Bruschetta Chicken Recipe
- Grilled Chicken Margherita Recipe
- Grilled Lemon Chicken Recipe
Balsamic Grilled Chicken Recipe
- Gas or charcoal grill
- Grill tongs or spatula
- Large bowl
- Aluminum foil
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- Combine olive oil, balsamic vinegar, honey, black pepper, salt, Italian seasoning, and minced garlic in a large bowl to create the marinade.
- Add chicken breasts to the marinade, ensuring they are well-coated. Let the chicken marinate for 4-8 hours.
- Preheat your gas or charcoal grill to 375°F for about 15 minutes.
- Remove chicken from the marinade, shake off excess, and place on the preheated grill grates. Cook with the lid closed for 7-8 minutes.
- Flip the chicken, close the lid, and cook for another 7-8 minutes, or until the internal temperature of the thickest part of the breast reaches 162°F.
- Transfer the chicken to a plate, cover with aluminum foil, and let it rest for 5 minutes. The temperature will rise to 165°F.
- Serve and enjoy the Balsamic Grilled Chicken as is or with salad, pasta, or rice.
Balsamic Grilled Chicken FAQs
How long should I marinate balsamic grilled chicken?
For optimal flavor, marinate the balsamic grilled chicken for at least 4 hours. For even better results, marinate for up to 8 hours.
Can I use chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts for balsamic grilled chicken?
Yes, you can easily swap out chicken breasts for boneless chicken thighs. Keep in mind that the cooking time may be a bit shorter depending on the thickness of the thighs.
What temperature should I grill balsamic chicken?
Preheat your grill to 375°F (190°C) and maintain that temperature while cooking the chicken for even, juicy results.
How long does it take to grill balsamic chicken?
Grill the balsamic chicken for 7-8 minutes on each side or until the internal temperature reaches 162°F (72°C) in the thickest part of the breast. Rest the chicken for 5 minutes before serving, allowing the temperature to rise to 165°F (74°C).
What can I serve with balsamic grilled chicken?
Balsamic grilled chicken pairs well with a variety of side dishes, such as salads, pasta, rice, roasted vegetables, or grilled corn on the cob. Choose your favorite sides to create a complete and delicious meal.