This Grilled Chicken Margherita recipe is a fresh and delicious spin on grilled chicken! Bursting with the vibrant flavors of juicy chicken, bright pesto sauce, melted mozzarella, and tangy marinated tomatoes, this dish is sure to become a favorite in your household.
Grilled Chicken Margherita is perfect for cooks of any skill level, from beginners to seasoned grill masters. With simple ingredients and clear, easy-to-follow instructions, anyone can impress their family or guests with this scrumptious meal.
The chicken is perfectly seasoned and grilled, then topped with a delicious combination of pesto, mozzarella, and marinated tomatoes.
To make this dish, you’ll need a few basic tools: a grill (charcoal or gas), tongs, a bowl for marinating the tomatoes, and a reliable meat thermometer to ensure the chicken is cooked to perfection. As with any grilled chicken recipe, proper heat management and a little patience will help you achieve the best results.
I’m an experienced BBQ enthusiast and recipe blogger who’s passionate about helping fellow grill lovers create mouthwatering meals. Drawing from years of backyard barbecues and delicious experiments, I’ve developed a knack for creating unforgettable grilled dishes.
My goal is to share my knowledge, tips, and tricks with you so that you can enjoy the satisfaction of a perfectly grilled meal every time.
So, fire up that grill, and let’s embark on this flavorful adventure together!
How To Make Grilled Chicken Margherita
Preheat the Grill
Begin by preheating your grill to 350°F. This will ensure your chicken cooks evenly and quickly. Make sure your grill is clean and ready to go.
Prepare Marinated Tomatoes
Mix cherry tomatoes, basil, garlic, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, kosher salt, and black pepper in a medium bowl. This mixture will create a delicious topping for the grilled chicken. Set the bowl aside for later.
Season the Chicken
Now it’s time to season your chicken breasts. Use either a Chicken Rub or lemon herb seasoning, and generously apply it to both sides of each chicken breast. Make sure each piece is well-coated for maximum flavor.
Grill the Chicken
Place the seasoned chicken breasts on the grill grates and close the lid. Let them cook for about 15 minutes before flipping them over. Continue to cook the chicken until the internal temperature reaches 155°F.
Add Pesto and Cheese
Spoon 2 tablespoons of pesto onto each chicken breast, spreading it evenly. Then, place a slice of fresh mozzarella cheese on top of the pesto. Close the grill lid and continue cooking until the cheese has melted and the chicken’s internal temperature hits 160°F.
Rest and Serve
Once the chicken is cooked, remove it from the grill and let it rest for 5 minutes. This helps the juices redistribute for a more tender and flavorful chicken. After resting, top each chicken breast with a generous scoop of marinated tomatoes and enjoy your delicious grilled chicken margherita!
Tips For Making Grilled Chicken Margherita
Before diving into this tasty Grilled Chicken Margherita recipe, it’s always helpful to have some useful tips and tricks up your sleeve. If you’re new to grilling or just looking for some advice to enhance your cooking experience, here are a few pointers to get you started:
- Chicken Thickness Matters. To ensure even cooking, try to select chicken breasts that are of similar thickness. If needed, you can use a meat mallet to pound the thicker parts to an even thickness.
- Watch the Temperature. Use a meat thermometer to accurately measure the internal temperature of the chicken breasts. This will help you avoid overcooking or undercooking the meat. Remember to add the pesto and cheese when the chicken reaches 155°F, and cook until it hits 160°F.
- Customize Your Flavors. Feel free to experiment with different seasonings or even make your own pesto sauce for a unique twist on the grilled chicken margherita recipe. Personalizing the flavors can make this dish even more enjoyable.
- Let the Chicken Rest. Allowing the cooked chicken to rest for 5 minutes before serving helps the juices redistribute, resulting in a more tender and flavorful chicken. Don’t skip this step!
Best Beer To Serve With Grilled Chicken Margherita
The right beer can make all the difference when it comes to enjoying a fantastic meal like Grilled Chicken Margherita. Here are the top 3 beer styles to elevate your chicken dish and create a memorable dining experience:
Light and crisp, a classic Pilsner is a perfect companion for this bright and flavorful Grilled Chicken Margherita. The refreshing quality of a Pilsner helps to cleanse your palate between bites, while the subtle bitterness enhances the herby pesto and tangy marinated tomatoes.
A Belgian-style Saison is a great choice for pairing with this grilled Grilled Chicken Margherita dish. Its fruity, peppery, and slightly funky notes complement the zesty, fresh flavors in the chicken, pesto, and marinated tomatoes. The Saison’s effervescence also helps to lift the richness of the melted mozzarella cheese.
American Pale Ale
If you’re a fan of hoppy beers, look no further than an American Pale Ale. The citrusy and piney hop flavors of the beer play well with the basil and garlic in the pesto sauce. Plus, the beer’s mild bitterness balances out the sweetness of the balsamic vinegar in the marinated tomatoes.
- Chili Lime Chicken Recipe
- Grilled Chicken Parmesan Recipe
- Grilled Chicken Cordon Bleu Recipe
- Grilled Bruschetta Chicken Recipe
- Grilled Lemon Pepper Chicken
- Smoked Chicken Breast Recipe
- Balsamic Grilled Chicken Recipe
Grilled Chicken Margherita Recipe
- Grill (gas or charcoal)
- Medium Bowl
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tbsp of lemon herb seasoning
- 1/2 cup basil pesto sauce
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 2 tbsp fresh basil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Preheat your grill to 350°F.
- Combine fresh tomatoes (cherry or grape tomatoes), basil, garlic, olive oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl to make marinated tomatoes. Set aside.
- Season both sides of the chicken breasts with Chicken Rub or lemon herb seasoning.
- Place seasoned chicken on preheated grill grates, close the lid, and cook for 15 minutes. Flip the chicken and continue cooking until the internal temperature reaches 155°F.
- Spoon 2 tablespoons of pesto over each chicken breast, then add a slice of fresh mozzarella cheese on top. Continue grilling until the internal temperature reaches 160°F.
- Remove the grilled chicken from the grill and let it rest for 5 minutes. Top with marinated tomatoes and serve.
Grilled Chicken Margherita FAQs
What is chicken margherita?
Chicken Margherita is a delicious and flavorful dish that combines grilled chicken breast with classic Italian ingredients. The chicken is topped with a layer of pesto sauce, melted fresh mozzarella cheese, and marinated cherry tomatoes.
This dish is a perfect combination of savory, tangy, and fresh flavors, making it an ideal choice for a light yet satisfying meal. Boneless skinless chicken thighs can be used for this recipe. You can store leftover grilled chicken margherita in a airtight container in your fridge.
What is the secret to grilling chicken?
The secret to grilling chicken lies in proper preparation, temperature control, and timing. To achieve the perfect grilled chicken make sure to marinate it beforehand, use a reliable meat thermometer, remove it from heat once it reaches 160F, and allow it to rest for a few minutes afterward.
What is the nutritional breakdown of grilled chicken?
The nutritional breakdown of grilled chicken depends on the specific cut and cooking method. Generally, a 3-ounce (85 grams) serving of boneless, skinless grilled chicken breast contains 128 calories and 26 grams of protein. Keep in mind that the nutritional value may vary based on marinades, seasonings, or added ingredients.