Smoked St. Louis Ribs are the perfect blend of sweet, smoky, and savory, and they’re sure to be a hit at your next cookout! This recipe is easy to follow and yields ribs that are tender, juicy, and full of flavor.
Whether you’re a seasoned BBQ master or a beginner just getting started, Smoked St. Louis Ribs are the perfect way to impress your guests and show off your cooking skills. So fire up the smoker and get ready to enjoy the best ribs you’ve ever tasted!
Smoked St. Louis Ribs
- BBQ Grill Accessories (tongs, basting brush, etc.)
For the Rub
- 2 tbsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp garlic granules
- 1 tbsp onion granules
- 2 tbsp paprika
For the Spritzer and Sauce
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup your favorite BBQ sauce
- 1 stick melted unsalted butter
For the Ribs
- 2 3 to 3 ½ pound spare ribs, trimmed
- 4 tbsp yellow or Dijon mustard
- Preheat the smoker to 240° to 250°.
- Rub: Combine all of the ingredients and set aside.
- Spritzer: Add the apple juice, cider, and water to a spray bottle and shake. Set aside.
- Sauce: In a small saucepot add in the BBQ sauce, butter and 1 cup of the spitzer mix. Keep warm.
- Rub the mustard all over both sides of the ribs creating a thin layer.
- Next, generously season the ribs on both sides with the rub. See Notes.
- Add the ribs to the smoker and cook for 1 hour. Spray the ribs with 8-10 sprays of the spritzer.
- Repeat this process for the next 90 minutes then cook for 30 more minutes.
- After 3 hours total of smoking time, remove the ribs.
- Pour about a ½ cup of the mixed sauce over the ribs and rub it in on all sides.
- Add about ¼ cup of the mixed BBQ sauce onto the center of a large sheet of the heavy-duty foil where the ribs are going to go and place ribs bone side up to the top of the sauce on the foil and wrap them extremely tight by folding over and covering up the ribs.
- Place the ribs back on the smoker bone side up and cook for 3 hours or until they are done. See Notes.
- Remove the ribs from the smoker and let rest in the foil for 30-45 minutes before slicing and serving.
- Serve ribs with BBQ sauce on the side.