Smoked scalloped potatoes are a family favorite in our house! Their rich flavor and smoky aroma make them a perfect side dish for almost any smoked meat!
If you like oven-baked scallop, then this recipe is made for you. Have you ever thought you could turn russet potatoes into something so delicious and amazing? Well, if you haven’t then it is high time you try this super awesome and yummy smoked scalloped potatoes recipe.
These scalloped potatoes can be served as a side dish or you can even serve them as an appetizer. These potatoes are complete comfort food. Once your family tries these delicious and super yummy smoked potatoes scalloped, they won’t settle for one, so make sure you have made ample amounts of these tasty potatoes.
How to make smoked scalloped potatoes
As hard as it may sound, trust us, this is going to be the most simple recipe that you have ever tried. You and your friends or family would love these creamy and cheesy potatoes. The ingredients used to make this recipe are pretty simple and can be easily found in your kitchen. But when they all combine you will get the most amazing and magical taste that you can only imagine. There is no hard and fast rule when it comes to seasonings. You can adjust them according to your taste and liking.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Total cooking time: 1 hour 55 minutes
- Wood: Oak
- Serving: 12
- wood chips
- Mandolin slicer
- 3 Tablespoons Butter
- 4 Large Garlic Cloves (Minced)
- 1 Small Yellow Onion
- 2 cups Whole Milk
- ¼ Cup Flour
- 1 cup Chicken Stock
- 1 Teaspoon Coarse Black Pepper
- 1.5 Teaspoons Kosher Salt
- 3 lbs. Russet Potatoes
- 2 Teaspoons Fresh Thyme (Chopped)
- 3 Cups Cheddar cheese (Grated, the older the better)
- 1 cup Parmesan Cheese (Grated)
How to make Smoked Scalloped Potatoes
- Set up the smoker. Preheat it to 375 degrees F to cook the scalloped potatoes. Use oak wood for smoke flavor.
- Slice potatoes using a mandolin slicer. You will get sliced potatoes of the same thickness and size.
- Take a large frying pan and place it on medium heat, add butter to it and melt it. Once the butter is melted add the onion to the melted butter and sautee it until it becomes tender and semi-transparent.
- Add minced garlic cloves to this frying pan and saute them for about 2-3 minutes more.
- Now add flour into the frying pan and mix it well. Stir it until it is well combined. Then add the remaining ingredients, which are chicken stock, milk, salt, pepper, and thyme.
- Stir the sauce thoroughly until everything is combined. When the sauce begins to simmer, remove it from the heat.
- Take a baking dish and brush it with some oil. Now Place the thinly sliced potatoes in the dish and add a layer of this creamy sauce that you prepared and add shredded cheese over it. Make 2 layers of these things.
- Place the baking dish in the smoker and close the lid. Cook it for about 1 and a half hours or until the potatoes are cooked.
- Once cooked remove the baking dish from the smoker and serve this amazing dish.
BBQ Hero Tips: You can try out different wood chips for this recipe like apple wood, cherry wood or even pecan. All these woods are perfect for meat or vegetable.
Making Smoked Scalloped Potatoes
1) Fire up the smoker
Use a pellet smoker and light it up. Set the temperature to 375 degrees F. This is the optimal temperature to cook any vegetable, especially potatoes. For smoke flavor, you can experiment with different types of wood according to your taste. But for this recipe we will be using oak wood, this gives a very nice smoky flavor to the dish.
2) Prepare the sauce
To prepare this creamy white cheese sauce, all you need is a frying pan. Place it on medium-high heat, then add butter to the pan and melt it. Once the butter is melted add the onion to the pan and saute it until it becomes soft and semi-transparent. Then add minced garlic and stir it for a while.
When the onions and garlic are done, it’s time to add the remaining ingredients to the pan which are milk, chicken stock, salt, ground black pepper, and thyme. Keep stirring constantly until the sauce begins to thicken. When the sauce starts to simmer, remove it from the heat.
3) Slice the potatoes
To slice the potatoes, use a mandoline slicer. You can adjust the thickness of the potatoes when you are slicing through the mandoline slicer. Make sure they are thinly sliced.
4) Get everything together
Take a baking dish and grease it with oil or use a non-stick spray. Now place a layer of these thinly sliced potatoes over the potatoes, pour half of the sauce mixture, and then sprinkle shredded cheese of your choice. Then repeat the process again until all the potatoes are layered up and you are left with no sauce.
5) Smoke it
Place the baking dish on the grill grate and put it in the smoker to bake and smoke at the same time. Just make sure you have preheated the smoker to the given temperature. Cook the potatoes for about one and a half-hour. Keep an eye on the potatoes. Remove them after 1 hour, or until they are cooked. To check if the potatoes are cooked or not, you can use a probe thermometer. Remove the potatoes when they are fork-tender.
6) Serve and enjoy
When you see it is cooked, remove it from the smoker and dish it out. You can sprinkle the remaining thyme and cheese over it if you want to. This is not just a holiday meal. You can make this any time of the year. You don’t have to wait for a special occasion to cook this. Everyone is going to love the scalloped potatoes that you made. You can serve them with a lot of things like smoked ham, grilled seafood, etc.
This dish is a complete meal itself, so if there is nothing to go with it you can still enjoy this.
Smoked Scalloped Potatoes FAQs
What is the difference between au gratin potatoes and scalloped potatoes?
There is not that much of a difference, but still, there is a major difference that distinguishes both these delicious and amazing dishes. Scalloped potatoes are cooked in a creamy sauce, whereas the au gratin potatoes have just cheese.
Why are my scalloped potatoes are soupy?
The reason for that is if you are not using fresh potatoes and you are going for the pre-prepared potatoes then they can be watery because of the preservatives in them. And this is what makes the scalloped potatoes soupy.
Why did my scalloped potatoes turn grey?
Whenever you cut or slice the potatoes, they turn gray because of exposure to air. But this is not harmful. It is completely okay to eat these gray potatoes.
How do you thicken up the scallop potatoes?
If you feel like your scalloped potatoes are getting soupy, then the best option to cover it up is instant potato mix. This won’t affect the flavor or taste, but it will solve the problem.