Smoked Pizza is the perfect combination of two classic dishes – pizza and barbecue. The smoky flavor of the cheese and the crust creates a unique and delicious pizza that is sure to be a hit with your family and friends.
Smoked Pizza is quick and easy to make, so you can enjoy it any time of day. Plus, it’s a great way to use up leftover pizza dough. So what are you waiting for? Get fired up and make yourself some Smoked Pizza today!
- BBQ Grill Accessories (Brush)
- Pizza stone or Baking sheet
- 1 ball pizza dough store bought or homemade pizza dough, ideally you’ll let it rise on a counter 2-6 hours in advance
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1.5 cup pizza sauce
- 2 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- ½ cup cup sausage cooked (or pepperoni) sliced
- 2 tbsp parmesan cheese divided
- 1 tsp parsley fresh chopped
- Preheat Traeger for pizza. Turn on the Traeger pellet grill to preheat at 500°F, with the pizza stone or baking sheet in it for 15 minutes).
- Prep work station. Dust half the flour on a large cutting board. Add the other half of the flour to the corner of your work space to use as you stretch the dough.
- Stretch pizza dough by pushing it a few times against the floured cutting board to pick up flour. Then start pinching the outside inch of the pizza dough, in a circular motion, to outline the crust and help form a circle shape. Switch between pressing the center of the dough against a cutting board, and using the back of your knuckles to stretch the dough from underneath, pulling it outwards in a circular motion. Add a little extra flour as you stretch it to a larger size, so it retains the bigger circle shape. (Beginners – see the pizza dough stretching tutorial on Sip Bite Go for more tips.)
- Prep pizza crust. If using a preheated pizza stone, carefully remove it from the smoker (and close the smoker so the heat stays inside). Prepare the crust by quickly brushing half of the olive oil on the top of the pizza stone or baking sheet. Add the stretched pizza dough on top. Then brush the remaining olive oil on the outside inch of the pizza dough crust (this will make a tasty crust while the pizza smokes on the Traeger).
- Add toppings. Quickly assemble the pizza toppings, leaving an inch around the outside of the dough without toppings (for the crust). First, spread pizza sauce on the pizza. Top with mozzarella cheese, cooked sausage (or pepperoni) slices, and half the parmesan cheese.
- Smoke pizza on the pellet grill at 500°F for 10 minutes. Rotate it and smoke pizza for another 5-10 minutes, or until the cheese has melted, and the bottom and pizza crust is golden brown.
- Let pizza cool and serve it. Transfer smoked pizza to a cutting board (you can let the pizza stone cool down in the Traeger), top with fresh parmesan cheese and fresh parsley, and slice and serve when cool enough to eat.