This Smoked Trout Dip recipe would be the easiest and most delicious appetizer you have ever made. With a handful of dip ingredients, you can make a fabulous smoked fish dip. This dip is considered a Florida-style fish dip, and it tastes so good that once you try it there is no going back. If you are someone who likes Smokey, creamy-textured fish dips then this smoked trout dip recipe is surely for you.
Smoked Trout Dip
If smoked salmon is your favourite and you call yourself a big fan, then this dip is a must-make. This amazing and out-of-this-world dip can be used in many ways. You can use it either as a dip or you can use it as a spread.
This dip tastes amazing with simple things like fresh veggies or crackers etc. Because it is already rich in flavour, so that’s why it’s better to serve it with simple things to enjoy the flavour of the dip.
How To Make Smoked Trout Dip
Step 1: Get trout prepared
Start by peeling off the skin of the trout. Start peeling the skin from the tail of the fillets, it is really important to remove the skin of the trout fish. When you go to buy the trout, make sure you get the best quality whole smoked trout fillets.
Do not go for the canned ones because trout fish is the main ingredient of this dip and you want the best texture and flavour out of it, so that’s why it is important to use the best quality fish.
Step 2: Mix All The Ingredients
First, take the cream cheese out of the fridge. And set it at room temperature so it gets soft and easy to use. Once the cream cheese is soft enough to use, put it in a food processor. Pulse the cheese well until you get nice whipped cream cheese, then add the smoked fish fillets into the processor and continue to pulse it. Make sure to crumble it before adding it to the food processor.
Now it’s time to add the remaining ingredients, which are Capers, smoked paprika, and dried dill weed. If you are using fresh dill then chop it very fine and add it at the end with the chives.
Pulse them again for a short time, then add lemon and zest into the mixture. Use another lemon and cut it in half. Squeeze the half lemon into the mixture and pulse all these things for the final time.
Once you have, add the remaining ingredients and pulse them well. It’s time to take out the mixture in a mixing bowl and then add the finely chopped chives to it. Always keep in mind if you are using fresh herbs, don’t add them to the processor as they will make the whole mixture green in colour. While adding them finely chopped will result in an amazing texture.
Step 3: Tasting
Now comes the final part of cooking. This is the most important step in the final phase. As you are almost done with the recipe it is really important to taste it. Try it and check if it requires more seasoning or if anything is more or less in the dip, like if it is salty or needs some salt. At this point, you can adjust the salt and black pepper to taste.
Step 4: Serve
Finally, now you can eat and enjoy the smoked trout dip which you made with our recipe. Did you think that making smoked trout dip would be that easy? Dish it out in a serving bowl. You can use it with a lot of fresh veggies. It can be served with crackers or toasted bread as well. This dip is so rich in flavour so it would be better if you try it with simple things, that’s how you will get to enjoy most of its flavour.
Tips For Making The Best Smoked Trout Dip
- Experiment. You can experiment with different flavours in this recipe. For example instead of adding fresh herbs you can go with hot sauce or Worcestershire sauce. You can even use substitute for seasonings as well. But keep one thing in mind smoked trout is the main star of the recipe, don’t spoil the flavour of it be over doing anything.
More Great Smoked Seafood Options:
- Smoked Cream Cheese Recipe
- Smoked Queso
- 23 Quick Smoker Recipes for Busy Pitmasters
- Seafood Rub
- Smoked Lamb Chops Recipe
Smoked Trout Dip Recipe
- Food processor
- Cutting board
- Mixing Bowl
- 8 oz smoked trout fillets
- 8 oz cream cheese sour
- 1 tbsp capers
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 lemon, medium-sized
- 2 tbsp fresh chives
- salt & pepper
- Prepare the food processor and bring the cream cheese to room temperature. It should be easy to work with cream cheese that is soft.
- Put the cream cheese in the food processor, and pulse it well. Take the trout fillets and crumble them and put them in the processor.
- Add capers, paprika and some dried dill weed as well in the food processor.
- Now it’s time to add lemon zest to the mixture with some lemon juice.
- Pulse all these ingredients until they are combined well. Once done take the mixture out into a mixing bowl and finely chopped chives to this mixture.
- Taste the dip and adjust if you feel like something is missing or lacking like salt or black pepper.
- Once everything is perfect, dish out your creation and serve.
Smoked Trout Dip FAQs
Is it safe to eat smoked trout dip?
Yes, it is absolutely safe to eat smoked trout, but just make sure if you are not using the canned trout remove its skin and bones these are the inedible parts, especially if you are feeding children.
Can you freeze smoked trout dip?
You can save it for later use by freezing it, or you can just put it in an airtight container and store it in the fridge.
How long does smoked fish dip keep?
If you are storing it in an airtight container, it will last 5 days in the fridge and up to 3 months in the freezer.
Do You Have To Cook Cold Smoked Trout?
The smoked trout is basically cured in large amounts of salt for several days, which drys out all the moisture from the fish. It is then smoked at low temperatures, mostly below 80 degrees F. So this doesn’t cook the fish and it is left with a raw texture.