This Grilled Chicken Fajitas With Chorizo Recipe makes a mouth-watering dish that is perfect for anyone looking to elevate their BBQ game. The combination of juicy grilled chicken and savory chorizo, along with the smoky charred vegetables, makes for an unforgettable meal that’s sure to impress.
As a BBQ enthusiast with years of experience under my belt, I can assure you that this recipe is perfect for both beginners and seasoned grill masters. With a few simple ingredients and some basic grilling techniques, you’ll be well on your way to creating a delicious and satisfying meal that your friends and family will love.
To make these Grilled Chicken Fajitas With Chorizo, you’ll need a few essential tools: a trusty grill (charcoal or gas will do), a 12-inch cast iron skillet, a reliable meat thermometer, and a good set of grilling utensils. With these tools in hand, you’ll be able to expertly cook the chicken, chorizo, and vegetables to perfection, ensuring a delightful meal for everyone at the table.
As always, we’re here to guide you through this delectable adventure. At BBQ Hero, we love sharing our passion for BBQ with others through simple tips, tasty recipes, and credible product reviews. So, gather your ingredients and fire up that grill—it’s time to dive into the scrumptious world of Grilled Chicken Fajitas With Chorizo!
How To Make Grilled Chicken Fajitas With Chorizo
Prepping Your Ingredients
Start by getting your ingredients ready for making chicken fajitas. Trim any fat off the chicken breasts and slice them into strips and remove the chorizo from its casing. Slice the jalapeno, onion, and bell pepper into strips, making sure to remove all seeds and pith. Season the chicken with fajita seasoning and coat the vegetables with olive oil and fajita seasoning.
Heating the Grill and Skillet
Preheat your charcoal or gas grill to 400F. Once it reaches the desired temperature, place a 12-inch cast iron skillet on the grates to preheat as well.
Cooking Chorizo and Veggies
Add oil to the preheated cast iron skillet and then add the chorizo, breaking it apart as it browns. Cook chorizo for about 2 minutes, add the seasoned vegetables to the skillet and cook them with the chorizo, stirring often for even cooking.
Grilling the Chicken
While the veggies and chorizo are cooking, grill the seasoned chicken strips. If you have enough space in your skillet you can placet the chicken on one side to grill alongside the other ingredients. Or, simply place the chicken breast directly on the grill grates beside the cast iron skillet.
Turn the chicken every few minutes to ensure even cooking. Mix the chicken in with the other fajita ingredients once it reaches an internal temperature of 165F.
Assembling Your Fajitas
Once the chicken, chorizo, and veggies are cooked, it’s time to assemble your fajitas. Layer chicken, chorizo, and veggies onto each flour or corn tortilla. Add any additional toppings like salsa, sour cream, cilantro, and lime juice from a few lime wedges. Enjoy your delicious grilled chicken fajitas!
Tips For Making Grilled Chicken Fajitas With Chorizo
Grilling chicken and chorizo fajitas can be a fun and delicious experience for beginners. Here are some simple tips to help you get started and make the most of this tasty recipe:
- Grill Temperature: Make sure your grill is preheated to 400F before cooking. A consistent temperature is essential for even cooking and perfectly grilled chicken and veggies.
- Chicken Doneness: Use a meat thermometer to ensure the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165F. This ensures the chicken is cooked through and safe to eat in your chicken fajita.
- Seasoning Choice: The taco seasoning in this recipe adds a great flavor to both the chicken and vegetables. Feel free to experiment with other seasonings to personalize the dish to your taste preferences.
- Warm Tortillas: Warm flour tortillas make all the difference. Try warming them up on the grill for a few seconds to make them more pliable and add a touch of smoky flavor.
- Veggie Prep: Cut the vegetables into even-sized slices to ensure they cook at the same rate. This helps prevent some veggies from being overcooked while others remain undercooked.
Grilled Chicken and Chorizo Fajita Topping Ideas
The sky is the limit when it comes to fajitas! Adding different toppings allows you and your guests to personalize your fajita experience and cater to individual preferences. Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Guacamole: Fresh, creamy guacamole adds a cool, rich element to the dish, balancing out the heat from the chorizo and jalapenos.
- Salsa: Whether you prefer mild, medium, or hot, a good salsa can bring an extra layer of flavor and spice to your fajitas. Try making homemade pico de gallo or choose your favorite store-bought brand.
- Sour Cream: A dollop of sour cream adds a cool, tangy contrast to the bold flavors of the grilled chicken and chorizo.
- Shredded Cheese: Sprinkle some shredded cheese, like cheddar or Monterey Jack, onto your fajitas for a melty, gooey addition.
- Fresh Cilantro: Chopped fresh cilantro brings a bright, herbal note to the dish, complementing the smoky and spicy flavors.
- Lime Wedges: A squeeze of fresh lime juice adds a zesty, acidic touch that brightens up the flavors of the fajita ingredients.
- Pickled Jalapenos or Onions: Add some tangy, spicy pickled jalapenos or onions for an extra kick and a pop of color.
With these versatile toppings and sides, you can easily customize your Grilled Chicken Fajitas With Chorizo to cater to any palate or dietary preference. Experiment with different combinations and let your taste buds guide you to your perfect fajita experience.
Best Beer To Serve With Grilled Chicken Fajitas
When it comes to enjoying grilled chicken fajitas, the right beer pairing can take the flavor experience to the next level. Here are my top three beer choices that perfectly complement the bold and spicy flavors of this mouth-watering dish:
A classic choice for pairing with grilled chicken fajitas, a crisp and refreshing Mexican lager helps cut through the richness of the dish while complementing the spices. The light-bodied nature of this beer won’t overwhelm the flavors of your fajitas, making it an ideal match.
American Pale Ale
With its balanced hoppy and malty profile, an American pale ale works wonders with the smoky, spicy flavors of grilled chicken fajitas. The hop bitterness can help cleanse your palate, while the malt backbone supports the rich and savory elements of the dish.
This German-style wheat beer brings a unique twist to your fajita experience. The fruity and spicy notes of a hefeweizen play well with the flavors of the grilled chicken and vegetables. Its smooth and refreshing mouthfeel makes it a great companion to the bold and spicy taste of the fajitas.
- Grilled Chicken Kabobs With Vegetables
- Grilled Lemon Chicken Recipe
- Balsamic Grilled Chicken Recipe
- Pellet Grill Chicken Breast Recipe
- Grilled Bruschetta Chicken Recipe
- Grilled Chicken Parmesan Recipe
Grilled Chicken Fajitas With Chorizo
- 8 soft corn or tortillas
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breast (sliced into strips)
- ½ lb chorizo (casing removed)
- 1 poblamo pepper
- 1 white or sweet onion (cut in half then sliced)
- 1 bell pepper (seeds and ribs removed and sliced)
- 3 jalapenos (seeds and ribs removed and sliced)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 4 tbsp tbsp fajita seasoning
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat (400F) and place the cast iron skillet on the grates to preheat.
- Trim excess fat from the chicken breasts, slice into strips, and season with 2 tbsp of fajita seasoning.
- Remove chorizo from its casing and seed the jalapeno and bell peppers.
- Chop peppers and onions into slices, drizzle with 1 tbsp olive oil, and season with remaining fajita seasoning.
- Pour 2 tbsp of oil into the skillet, add chorizo, and cook for 2 minutes, breaking it apart while browning.
- Add onion and sliced vegetables to the skillet with chorizo, stirring often for even cooking and caramelization.
- Grill chicken strips, turning every couple of minutes, until the internal temperature reaches 165 F.
- Add chicken to the skillet and toss with the vegetables and chorizo.
- Assemble fajitas on flour or corn torillas with your favorite toppings.
Grilled Chicken Fajitas With Chorizo FAQs
What type of chorizo should I use for Grilled Chicken Fajitas With Chorizo?
For Grilled Chicken Fajitas With Chorizo, you can use either Mexican or Spanish chorizo. Mexican chorizo is typically uncooked and removed from its casing, while Spanish chorizo is pre-cooked and can be sliced. Both types will add a delicious, spicy flavor to your fajitas.
How do I know when the chicken is cooked for Grilled Chicken Fajitas With Chorizo?
To ensure the chicken is cooked through, use a meat thermometer to check its internal temperature. Chicken is safe to eat when it reaches an internal temperature of 165°F. Make sure to measure the temperature in the thickest part of the chicken.
Can I make Grilled Chicken Fajitas With Chorizo ahead of time?
Yes, you can prepare the chicken, chorizo, and vegetables in advance. Season the chicken and slice the vegetables, then store them separately in the refrigerator until you’re ready to cook. This will save time and make the grilling process more efficient.
What are some good toppings for fajita recipes?
For Grilled Chicken Fajitas With Chorizo, consider adding toppings like sour cream, guacamole, salsa, shredded cheese, diced tomatoes, fresh cilantro, and lime wedges. You can also offer a variety of hot sauces to suit different tastes.
Can I use a different type of meat for fajitas?
Yes, you can easily swap out the chicken breasts for chicken thighs for another type of meat, such as beef or shrimp. Just be sure to adjust the cooking time and temperature accordingly to ensure the meat is cooked through.