We’re so excited to share this tasty and easy-to-make BBQ Chicken Quesadilla Recipe with you! Packed with smoky, cheesy goodness, these quesadillas are sure to be a hit at your next gathering or family dinner.
Don’t worry if you’re new to cooking; this bbq chicken quesadilla recipe requires minimal expertise (you don’t even need to touch your grill!) With a few simple ingredients and easy-to-follow instructions, you’ll be whipping up these scrumptious quesadillas like a pro in no time.
For this recipe, you’ll need some basic kitchen tools, such as a skillet, a cutting board, and a sharp knife. Additionally, you may want to have a nonstick skillet or cast iron pan handy for cooking the quesadillas to perfection without any sticking.
With years of grilling and smoking experience under my belt, I’m here to guide you through the process and share my tried-and-true tips for creating delicious BBQ dishes. So, grab your apron and let’s get started on this mouthwatering BBQ chicken quesadilla adventure together!
How To Make This BBQ Chicken Quesadilla Recipe
Start by prepping all your ingredients to make the cooking process smooth. Shred your leftover grilled chicken and mix it with your favorite BBQ sauce. Then, shred the cheese and chop the red onion. Finally, spread butter on one side of each tortilla and set everything aside.
In a large skillet, heat 1 teaspoon of olive oil and cook the sliced red onions until they soften. After cooking, mix the onions with the shredded chicken and BBQ sauce. You can add extra BBQ sauce here if you like extra saucy BBQ chicken. Keep this mixture aside while you get ready to assemble the quesadillas.
Place a tortilla, butter side down, in a heated skillet. On one half of the tortilla, layer some cheese, followed by the onion and chicken mixture, and then top it off with more cheese. Fold the other half of the tortilla over the filling and gently press down to ensure the entire surface is in contact with the skillet.
Cook the quesadilla until it turns golden brown, and then carefully flip it with a rubber spatula. Cook the other side until it’s also golden brown and the cheese has melted. Remove the cooked quesadilla from the skillet and let it rest on a cutting board.
Slice and Serve
Allow the cooked quesadilla to cool for at least 5 minutes before slicing it into portions. This will help prevent the gooey cheese from oozing out. Serve your delicious BBQ chicken quesadillas with optional sides like cilantro, sour cream, guacamole, salsa, or ranch dip, and enjoy!
Tips For Making BBQ Chicken Quesadillas
As a beginner, you might find it helpful to know a few simple tips to make your BBQ chicken quesadillas even more delicious and easy to prepare. Here are some suggestions to help you get the best results from this tasty recipe.
- Fold, Don’t Stack: When assembling your quesadillas, start with a whole tortilla and fold it in half instead of stacking two tortillas. This makes flipping the quesadilla much easier and prevents the filling from falling out.
- Butter for Crispiness: To achieve a golden, crispy exterior, spread butter on the outside of the tortilla instead of melting it in the pan. This helps create that perfect texture we all love.
- Cheese Layering: Sandwich the chicken and onion filling between layers of cheese. This helps the two sides of the tortilla stick together and ensures even melting.
- Heat Control: Keep the heat at a medium setting while cooking the quesadillas. If the heat is too low, the exterior won’t crisp up, while too high a heat will cause the tortilla to cook too fast.
- Cooling Time: After cooking the quesadillas, let them cool for at least 5 minutes before slicing. This will prevent the gooey cheese from oozing out and maintain the perfect texture.
Best Beer To Serve With BBQ Chicken Quesadilla
There’s nothing quite like enjoying a delicious BBQ chicken quesadilla alongside a perfectly paired beer. The right beer can elevate the flavors of the dish and create a memorable dining experience. Here are my top three beer recommendations to enjoy with your mouth-watering quesadillas.
American Pale Ale
An American Pale Ale is a fantastic choice for pairing with BBQ chicken quesadillas. The beer’s citrusy and hoppy notes complement the smoky, tangy flavors of the barbecue sauce, while its moderate bitterness helps cut through the richness of the cheese.
A smooth and malty Amber Lager is another great option to enjoy with this dish. The beer’s caramel and toasty flavors harmonize with the sweetness of the barbecue sauce and the savory chicken, while its crisp finish cleanses the palate after each cheesy, saucy bite.
For a lighter and more refreshing choice, try a Hefeweizen with your quesadillas. The beer’s fruity and spicy notes bring out the best in the chicken and barbecue sauce, while its effervescence helps balance the dish’s richness. Plus, the hints of banana and clove in the beer add an extra layer of depth to the overall flavor experience.
More Delicious Chicken Recipes
- Smoked Chicken Breast Recipe
- Thai Grilled Chicken Pizza Recipe
- Pellet Grill Chicken Breast Recipe
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken Recipe
BBQ Chicken Quesadilla Recipe
- Large Skillet
- Rubber spatula
- Cutting board
- Sharp Knife
- 1 tsp Olive oil
- ½ cup sliced red onions
- 2 cups pre cooked chicken breast, shredded into big chunks (use leftover chicken breasts or rotisserie chicken)
- 1/2 cup BBQ sauce
- 2 flour tortillas (10-12 inch burrito size)
- 2 tbsp butter, room temperature
- 2 cups shredded cheese (shredded cheddar cheese works well)
- Optional for serving: cilantro, sour cream, guacamole, salsa, ranch dip
- Shred chicken and mix with BBQ sauce, shred cheese, chop onion, and butter one side of each tortilla.
- Cook onions in olive oil to soften, then mix with shredded chicken and BBQ sauce. Set aside.
- Heat a large skillet and place one tortilla, butter side down, in the skillet.
- Layer cheese on half of the tortilla, then add chicken filling, and top with more cheese. Fold tortilla in half over the filling and press down gently.
- Cook until golden brown, then flip with a rubber spatula. Cook until the other side is golden brown and cheese is melted.
- Remove the cooked quesadilla from the skillet and place on a cutting board. If making several, keep them warm on a cookie sheet in the oven at the lowest temperature.
- Let the quesadilla cool for at least 5 minutes before slicing and serving with optional sides like cilantro, sour cream, guacamole, salsa, or ranch dip.
BBQ chicken quesadillas FAQs
What type of chicken should I use for BBQ chicken quesadillas?
Chicken breast works best for quesadillas as it’s less greasy compared to dark meat. You can make shredded chicken in your slow cooker or Instant Pot, or use leftovers from a roast chicken dinner or a rotisserie chicken.
What kind of cheese should I use for BBQ chicken quesadillas?
For BBQ chicken quesadillas, a combination of Jack cheese or cheddar-Jack blend works best. These cheeses melt nicely and complement the flavors of the BBQ sauce and chicken.
Can I make BBQ chicken quesadillas ahead of time?
Yes, you can prepare the filling ahead of time by shredding the chicken, chopping the onion, and mixing the ingredients with the BBQ sauce. When you’re ready to serve, assemble and cook the quesadillas for a fresh and delicious meal.
How do I store leftover BBQ chicken quesadillas?
Store leftover BBQ chicken quesadillas in an airtight container or wrapped tightly in aluminum foil. They can be kept in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat them in a skillet over low heat or in the oven at 350°F until the cheese is melted and the tortilla is crispy.
Can I freeze BBQ chicken quesadillas?
Yes, you can freeze cooked BBQ chicken quesadillas. Allow them to cool completely, then wrap each quesadilla individually in plastic wrap or aluminum foil. Place them in a freezer-safe bag or airtight container and freeze for up to 2 months. Reheat them in the oven at 350°F or in a skillet over low heat until heated through and crispy.