This BBQ chicken nachos recipe is perfect for any occasion, whether you’re hosting a game day party or just want a delicious afternoon snack. My BBQ chicken nachos are easy to make, and they pack a flavor punch that will make your taste buds sing.
This recipe is perfect for beginners because it’s straightforward, and the ingredients are easy to find. You’ll need a few basic tools like an oven or grill, a baking sheet, and a small bowl for mixing the chicken and BBQ sauce. If you have a plastic zip-top bag, that can also come in handy for distributing the condiments evenly on top of the nachos.
I’ve spent years perfecting my recipes and techniques and I know what it takes to create amazing dishes that are easy to make and burst with flavor. With my BBQ chicken nachos recipe, you can trust that you’re getting a tried and true recipe that will impress your family and friends. So let’s get started!
How To Make BBQ Chicken Nachos
Preheat the Oven or Grill
Get your oven or grill ready by preheating it to 425 degrees F. This will ensure the nachos cook evenly and quickly.
Mix BBQ Chicken
eet pan chicken nachos is, of course, the BBQ chicken! It’s best to use leftover chicken that has been fully cooked and pulled apart with two forks. You can use BBQ chicken breasts, chicken cooked in the slow cooker or crock pot, or even rotisserie chicken.
In a small bowl, combine your cooked, shredded chicken with 1/2 cup of your favorite BBQ sauce. Save the remaining barbecue sauce for later. This mixture will add add a tasty BBQ flavor to your nachos.
Grab a rimmed baking sheet and spread out your favorite tortilla chips in a single layer. Add half of the Colby jack or Monterey jack and shredded cheddar cheese on top. (If preferred, you can use just cheddar here)
Next, layer the BBQ chicken over the shredded cheese. The second layer will include your additional toppings, which are all optional but definitely recommended. In this recipe, we use beans, olives, green onion (or red onion), and diced tomatoes.
Top with the remaining cheese and drizzle the remaining BBQ sauce from a snipped plastic bag.
Bake the Shredded Chicken Nachos
Place your loaded nachos in the preheated oven or grill. Cook them for around 10 minutes, or until the cheese melts and starts bubbling. You should have a layer of crispy tortilla chips, hot chicken, and melted cheese.
Add Toppings and Serve
After removing the nachos from the oven or grill, pipe sour cream evenly over the top using a small plastic bag. Finally, garnish your BBQ chicken nachos with chopped cilantro leaves and lime slices. Serve right away and enjoy your scrumptious creation!
Tips For Making BBQ Chicken Nachos
If you’re new to making BBQ Chicken Nachos, don’t worry! This recipe is simple and delicious. Here are a few easy tips to help make your nacho-making experience even better:
- Use a Rimmed Baking Sheet. When assembling your nachos, using a rimmed baking sheet will prevent toppings from falling off the sides while cooking.
- Customize Your Toppings. Feel free to get creative with your toppings. Add your favorite veggies, extra cheese, or even some pickled jalapeños to make your nachos unique and full of flavor.
- Don’t Overcook the Nachos. Keep an eye on your nachos while they cook. You want the cheese to be melted and bubbly, but not burnt. Around 10 minutes should do the trick, but adjust the time as needed.
- Use Pre-Cooked Chicken. Save time by using pre-cooked or leftover chicken. For easy chicken nachos use rotisserie chicken or slow cooker chicken.
- Serve Immediately. For the best taste and texture, serve your BBQ chicken nachos as soon as they come out of the oven or grill. This ensures that the chips stay crispy and the cheese stays melted.
Best Beer To Serve With BBQ Chicken Nachos
When it comes to pairing beer with BBQ chicken nachos, you want a brew that can stand up to the bold flavors and spices of this delicious snack. You also want a beer that can refresh your palate between each cheesy bite. Here are the top three types of beer that will complement your BBQ chicken nachos perfectly.
A classic pale ale is a great match for BBQ chicken nachos. Its crisp hop bitterness can cut through the richness of the cheese and sour cream, while its refreshing flavor can wash down the smoky chicken and spicy BBQ sauce. A pale ale also has enough body to stand up to the bold flavors in this dish.
An amber lager is another great beer to pair with BBQ chicken nachos. Its smooth, malty flavor can complement the sweetness of the BBQ sauce, while its carbonation can cut through the creaminess of the cheese and sour cream. An amber lager also has a crisp finish that can refresh your palate between each bite.
If you’re a fan of hoppy beers, an IPA can be an excellent match for BBQ chicken nachos. Its bold, bitter flavor can balance out the sweetness of the BBQ sauce, while its effervescence can help cleanse your palate between bites. An IPA also has a rich, full body that can complement the heartiness of the chicken and beans.
- Grilled Chicken Parmesan Recipe
- Thai Grilled Chicken Pizza Recipe
- Grilled Chicken Cordon Bleu Recipe
- Grilled Bruschetta Chicken Recipe
- Grilled Lemon Pepper Chicken
- Smoked Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Smoked Chicken Breast Recipe
BBQ Chicken Nachos Recipe
- Grill (gas or charcoal)
- Rimmed cookie sheet
- Small bowl
- Plastic zip-lock bags
- 6 cups tortilla chips
- 2 cups colby jack cheese (shredded)
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 1 cup cooked, shredded BBQ chicken
- 2/3 cup BBQ sauce (divided use)
- 15 oz can sliced olives
- 1 12 oz can black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1/4 cup grape or cherry tomatoes (sliced in half)
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
- 1 lime sliced
- Preheat your grill or oven to 425 degrees F.
- Combine shredded chicken and 1/2 cup of BBQ sauce in a small bowl. Reserve the remaining 1/3 cup of BBQ sauce for later. You can use any kind of leftover chicken for this recipe, we like using either rotisserie chicken for pulled chicken or grilled chicken thighs shredded.
- Spread out tortilla chips on a rimmed cookie sheet. Top with half of the shredded colby jack and cheddar cheese. Layer the BBQ chicken, beans, olives, tomatoes, and the rest of the cheese on the chips. Put the remaining BBQ sauce in a plastic bag, snip the corner, and pipe it evenly across the top of the cheese.
- Place the cookie sheet in the oven or on the grill for about 10 minutes or until the cheese is hot and melted. Remove from the oven or grill.
- Scoop the sour cream into a small plastic bag, snip the corner, and pipe it evenly across the top of the nachos. Garnish with cilantro and lime slices. Serve immediately and enjoy your delicious BBQ chicken nachos!
BBQ Chicken Nachos FAQs
What are the best ways to serve nachos?
Nachos can be served in a variety of ways, such as a snack or appetizer, a meal, or even as a dessert. Some popular variations include loaded nachos with toppings such as cheese, sour cream, guacamole, salsa, and jalapenos, as well as dessert nachos with sweet toppings like chocolate, fruit, and whipped cream.
What goes first on nachos?
Typically, the first layer of nachos consists of a bed of tortilla chips, followed by a layer of melted cheese to help hold the toppings in place. From there, any desired toppings can be added, such as seasoned meat, beans, salsa, jalapenos, and sour cream.
How do you serve nachos as a meal?
To serve nachos as a meal, start with a large serving platter and arrange a layer of tortilla chips on the bottom. Add layers of cooked meat, beans, cheese, and other desired toppings, making sure to distribute them evenly. Place the platter in a preheated oven or under the broiler until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Serve with additional toppings, such as sour cream, guacamole, and salsa.
What meat goes best with nachos?
The type of meat that goes best with nachos can vary depending on personal preference, but some popular options include seasoned ground beef or turkey, shredded chicken, or pulled pork. Vegetarian options like black beans or seasoned tofu can also be used.
What is the secret to crispy nachos?
The secret to crispy nachos is to ensure that the tortilla chips are arranged in a single layer on the baking sheet or skillet and not overcrowded. Additionally, it’s important to bake or broil the nachos until the cheese is melted and bubbly but not overly browned or burned.
Do you put cheese or toppings on nachos first?
The traditional method for layering nachos involves first placing a layer of tortilla chips on the bottom, followed by a layer of shredded cheese. The cheese helps to hold the toppings in place and melt together with the chips. After the cheese, other desired toppings can be added in layers, such as seasoned meat, beans, and vegetables.