Venison may not be as popular of a meat choice for smoking as pork or chicken, but trust us when we say it’s just as delicious. Venison is leaner than beef, so when you smoke it you’re going to get tender and flavorful meat. This Smoked Venison recipe will make you a deer meat convert in no time.
How to make Smoked Venison
Below is everything you’ll need to know to make the perfect Smoked Venison on your pellet grill, offset or charcoal smoker. You’re in for a tender and tasty meal with this Smoked Venison recipe.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 4 to 5 hours
- Total Time: 4 to 5 hours
- Cook Temperature: 180ºF
- Finish Temperature: 145ºF
- Wood Flavor: Cherry
- Servings: 2-4 people
- Your preference of smoker (I recommend a pellet smoker)
- Commercial grade tinfoil
- Temperature probe
- 1 pound deer tenderloin
- 1 batch Not Just Pork Rub
- Start your smoker, grab your pellets, and get the temperature stable at 180ºF.
- Season the venison all over with the rub and work it into the meat.
- Insert your meat probe and place the meat directly onto the grill grate. Close the lid.
- Smoke for 4 to 5 hours until the internal temperature reaches 145ºF.
- Remove from the grill and let it rest for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
BBQ Hero Tip: The type of beverage you choose when it’s time to eat has a big impact on the flavors you’ll be tasting in the meat. Pair your smoked venison with a good Porter or Stout beer to amplify and complement the meat’s delicious flavor.