You may have eaten scallops at some point in your life, but have you ever thought of trying to make smoke scallops? You would be amazed to know how amazing and delicious Smoked Sea Scallops are. Try bacon-wrapped scallops, once you have tried it trust us, this recipe is going to become your go-to dish for every party or get-together. If you are a seafood lover then you might not need a reason to make this as these smoked seasoned scallops are a perfect delight for you.
Table of Contents
The scallop is basically an adductor muscle whose function is to open and close the shell. Scallop does not have any other function, nor does it filter toxins. So this means it is clean and a complete protein package. Smoked scallops are a perfect appetizer, and smoking the scallops adds a deep and amazing smoke flavour to the scallops. In this recipe, we are going to cover a lot of things.
How To Make Smoked Scallops
Step 1 – Rinse Scallops
When you buy the scallops it is important to give them a quick rinse before you cook them. They may look clean, but make sure to wash them under cold running water. Use paper towels to pat dry the scallops. Before seasoning and smoking, it is essential you have dry scallops.
Step 2 – Season
Before smoking scallops, seasoning is a very important part. This will enhance the flavour of the scallops. Keep that in mind, as scallops are very delicate, you don’t go harsh on them while seasoning. Avoid marinating them in anything acidic as this will pre-cook them and that is not something we are looking for here.
Add some olive oil to the cleaned and dried scallops. Coat the scallops well in the olive oil and then sprinkle with some freshly ground black pepper and salt (you can use kosher salt as well).
Step 3 – Prepare the smoker
Heat up the smoker and set the grill temp to 210 degrees F. In this recipe, the scallops will be cooked over indirect heat.
Step 4 – Choose Your Chips
When it comes to smoking, the first thing that comes to mind is what sort of wood to use? Well, in this case, we are smoking meat of the scallop for a very short time. So you can get away with any kind of wood for smoke flavour.
To give you an idea, if you are looking for a mild and straightforward kind of smoke flavour, then go for apple or cherry as they are lighter woods in terms of smoke flavour.
If you want something neutral then the best options for you are hickory or cherry. And if you like your seafood cooked in hard smoke, then there is nothing better than mesquite.
If you are planning to cover it in bacon then you should go with the hard-flavoured smoke wood, and if you want to experience the delicacy of the scallops you should definitely opt for a lighter-flavoured wood.
Step 5 – Smoking the scallops
Place the scallops in the smoker, try to use a grill basket or a grill mat, this will keep your grill clean and it will also prevent the scallops from sticking to the grill. Smoke them for about half an hour at 210 degrees F. Use an instant-read thermometer to check the internal temperature of the scallops when it reaches 145 degrees F. This means the scallops are ready to eat.
Step 6 – Prepare the white wine and garlic sauce
This recipe tastes so much better with this amazing and delicious sauce. Take a small saucepan and add butter to it. Melt the butter and then add 2 tablespoons of olive oil to it. Stir them on a medium-high flame once they are combined, add some minced garlic, and continue stirring so that it doesn’t get burned. After 2 minutes of stirring, add in the white wine and simmer it as soon as it begins to boil, reduce the flame and simmer it on a low flame. Now remove it from the heat and add lemon juice to it. And it’s all good to go.
Step 7 – Serve
Take the scallops out of the smoker and drizzle them with this mouthwatering sauce. You can serve immediately without wasting any time. It would taste better if you served the scallops with al dente pasta.
Tips For Making The Best Smoked Scallops
- Clean and Tidy. Use a grill basket or grill mat this will keep your grill clean as it stops items from falling into the grill. This will also stop the fish or any other seafood from sticking to the grills.
More Great Smoked Seafood Recipes
Smoked Scallops FAQs
How long should you smoke scallops?
They take somewhere between 30 to 60 minutes to cook. Once the internal temperature reaches 145 degrees F, this means they are cooked and then you can smoke it for about 20 mins depending on how much flavour of smoke you like.
What flavours of herbs go well with scallops?
You can try out different herbs. Each of them gives a unique taste and flavour to the scallops. For example, you can try Thyme, tarragon, parsley, and chives.
What side goes with the scallops?
You can pair it up with so many combinations of potatoes. like mashed potatoes or scalloped potatoes etc.
How do I know if I overcook the scallops?
Overcooked scallops will be chewy in texture and they won’t be tender as they should be, because all the proteins are cooked and they will squeeze all the moisture out of them.
Easy Smoked Scallops Recipe
- wood chips (apple or cherry)
- BBQ Grill Accessories (Brush, tongs, etc.)
- 2 lbs Fresh Raw Diver Scallops
- 4 Cloves Minced Garlic
- 6 tbsp Salted Butter
- 1 cup Dry White Wine
- 1/2 Lemon, squeezed
- Olive Oil
- Salt and pepper
- Take the scallops and give them a quick rinse. Once they are cleaned place them in a pan and dry using a paper towel.
- Take some olive oil and drizzle it over the scallops, then sprinkle some salt and pepper to season the scallops.
- Prepare the smoker and heat it up to 210 degrees F. Add your preferred smoking wood chips to the smoker.
- It’s time to place the scallops in the smoker. Use a grill basket brushed with oil or simply place them on the grill, making sure they are away from the direct heat, and then close the lid of the smoker.
- Cook the scallops for about 30-40 mins at 210 degrees F. Remove the scallops from the smoker when the internal temperature reaches 145 degrees F.
- Time to prepare the white wine garlic drizzle. Take a small saucepan, add some butter to it, and melt it over low temperature.
- Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil into the melted butter. After this, add minced garlic to the butter and stir it continuously so that the garlic doesn’t get burned.
- Add wine to this mixture and let it simmer on a low medium flame until the scallops are smoked.
- Once the scallops are smoked remove them from the smoker. Also remove the sauce from the heat, dish out the cooked, and smoked scallops. Drizzle them with the sauce you just made and serve them.