There’s nothing quite like classic roast beef. It reminds us of Sunday night family dinners or comfort food on a cold day. Pair this meal with some roast vegetables or smoked baked potatoes for the perfect combination.
How to make Smoked Roast Beef
Below is everything you’ll need to know to make the perfect Smoked Roast Beef on your pellet grill, offset or charcoal smoker. Don’t blame us for the food coma that you’re about to put yourself into after eating this delicious roast.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 12 to 14 hours
- Total Time: 12 to 14 hours
- Cook Temperature: 180ºF and 450ºF
- Finished Temperature: 145ºF
- Wood Flavor: Mesquite
- Servings: 5-8 people
- Your preference of smoker (I recommend a pellet smoker)
- Commercial grade tinfoil
- Temperature probe
- 1 (4-lb) top round roast
- 1 batch of Beef Dry Rub
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- Start your smoker, grab your pellets, and get the temperature stable of 180ºF.
- Season the roast with the beef rub. Make sure to get the rub right into the meat.
- Place the roast directly on the grill and smoke until the internal temperature reaches 140 ºF.
- Remove the roast from the grill.
- Next, place a cast-iron skillet on the grill grate and increase the cooking temperature to 450ºF.
- Place the roast directly in the skillet and add the butter. Cook until the internal temperature reaches 145ºF, flipping once after about 3 minutes.
- Remove the roast from the grill and let rest for 10-15 minutes.
BBQ Hero Tip: When cooking any roast, it’s about internal temperature, not necessarily time spent on the grill. Don’t get too caught up on the timing and focus on getting the meat to the recommended temperature.
How long does it take to make smoked roast beef?
Typically, it takes 4-5 hours to smoke a full roast beef. However, that depends on the overall size of the roast beef. When smoking roast beef, cook to an internal temperature of 145ºF. Once the roast beef has hit 145ºF internal, remove it from the smoker, wrap it in tinfoil and let rest for at least 20 minutes.
How long does it take a 3-pound beef roast to smoke?
It can take anywhere from 6-9 hours to smoke a beef roast. The time it takes depends on the roast you’re wanting to smoke as well as the temp you choose to smoke at. As a rule of thumb, focus on getting an internal temp of 145ºF for any beef roast. Using a Meater© can help with time planning.
Can you BBQ a smoked roast beef like a brisket?
Yes, you can definitely smoke a roast like a brisket. However, we recommend you stick to fattier beef roasts like chuck roast for this. The more fat you have on the roast, the easier it is to smoke it like a brisket. The less fat you have, the more chance you have to end up with dry beef.