Planning to smoke beef on a budget? Well, the eye of round beef is the perfect cut that you can use. This is the toughest cut of beef. If given attention and made with the exact instructions which you are about to read, you will get the best of flavour out of this smoked eye of round.
Table of contents
Smoked Eye of Round
When you try this recipe you will get to know that this is the best roast beef you have ever made with minimal effort. You might have read or heard of many beef roasts recipes, but this one will instantly become your family favourite.
The question which comes to mind for newbies is where is this cut of beef? The answer is, it is on the back leg of the cow. At first, it may look like tenderloin, but it’s not. They both look quite similar to each other.
The reason for being the toughest muscle is its continuous movement, which makes this cut very lean and free from any excess fat, it has a lot of inter-muscle tissues connected. That is why this is the toughest cut.
Usually, this cut of meat doesn’t get much attention from people. It is the meat’s lean cut, and if not cooked properly or correctly, it can be tough and flavourless. But don’t worry, this recipe is going to be a complete guide on how to make the eye of a round roast. The ingredients used in this recipe are simple and easily available. steak rub
how to smoke eye of round
Step 1 – Soak in Brine Overnight
Step 2 – Prepare the beef
Step 3 – Season
Rub it all over the beef, using a generous amount of seasoning to cover it. Also, insert a probe in it to keep an eye on the internal temp.
Step 4 – Smoking time
If you want to attain the perfect smoke rings, try smoking beef at low temperatures like 225 degrees F initially for about 3 to 4 hours. Or smoke it until the internal temperature has reached 160 degrees F.
Once it reaches the target temperature take it out of the smoker and use a foil to wrap it. Wrap it twice and also add ½ cup of beef broth with ½ stick of butter to it. And it is time to put it back in the smoker to cook. Cooking time should be the same as previous session. Cook it for 3 to 4 hours, but this time increase the temperature to 300 degrees F. Using a probe, keep an eye on how the internal temperatures change. As soon as it reaches 205 to 210, this means your cooking process is at its very end.
Step 5 – Serve
You can serve it with a lot of dishes. This alone could be served as a main course cuisine. This round beef roast can be used to make the most delicious smoked roast beef sandwiches which can be served with horseradish cream sauce.
Tips For Making The Best Smoked Eye of Round
- Let it Rest. This cut of meat has minimal juice in it so refrain from cutting it too soon, let it sit there in the foil covered for about 35 minutes more or less before cutting.
Smoked Eye Of Round Recipe
- wood chips
- 4 lbs Eye Round of Beef
- 1/2 cup Beef Broth
- 1/2 stick Butter 4oz.
- 1/2 tbsp Salt
- 1 tsp Ground Black Pepper
- 1/2 tsp granulated garlic
- 1/2 tsp Granulated Onion
- Remove the fat from the beef. Look for any silver skin on it and remove it.
- Take a small bowl and combine salt, pepper, onion, and garlic well.
- Put the beef roast in the brine and then dry it out by patting. When it is dried, sprinkle the seasoning and rub it over the eye-round roast. (Brine recipe is given below).
- Now it is ready to be smoked. Put it in the smoker at 225 degrees F for about 3 to 4 hours, or until the internal temperature reaches 160 degrees F.
- Take it out of the smoker and double wrap it in the aluminum foil with beef broth and a butter stick. Turn the temperature high to 300 degrees. and then smoke it again.
- Cook the beef for 3 to 4 hours more until it reaches 205 to 210 degrees F internally.
- Once done take it out of the smoker and open the foil and let it rest there for some time until the temperature reaches 150 degrees F. Then thinly slice it and enjoy it.
Smoked Eye of Round FAQs
How Long Do You Smoke Eye Of Round?
Is top round or eye round better?
Regarding taste, the top round is much better in flavour, but this cut is very lean as it comes from the round primal, which makes it lean and less tender. This is also the smallest round cut because it is from the rear leg.