Smoked Crab Legs are the best way to enjoy crab and this recipe allows you to make them from the comfort of your own home! Once you try this recipe you will realize this is a whole new level of crab meat. Smoked crab legs with melted butter and seasoning mix are something truly out of this world. This could be the perfect recipe for seafood BBQ, you can enjoy this recipe the whole year and you won’t get tired of it.
Table of contents
Smoked Crab Legs
Smoking these snow crab legs is really simple and easy and takes hardly 30 minutes to make! Since you can buy them pre-cooked before freezing, all you have to do is smoke them. These fancy restaurants do the same with the crabs they just boil them or steam the crab for tender crab meat. Why pay a lot of bucks for something that you can make at home for half the price.
How To Make Smoked Crab Legs
Step 1 – Preheat the smoker
The reason fruitwood is used Is because it has a mild flavour which is required for seafood. If you are using beef or pork then you can go for strong flavour wood like hickory.
Keep in mind, don’t go for hickory or mesquite as they are too strong and will overcome the flavour of the smoked crab legs.
Step 2 – Prepare the butter mixture
If you are thinking about how much butter you will be needed so there’s a simple rule of thumb for that. For every 10 pounds of crab legs use 1 pound of butter.
As you begin to melt the butter you will see a white foamy layer over it that are milk solids and they change the flavour of the butter. So use a spoon to remove all the white from the butter.
Once you are done with removing all the milk solids from the butter, you will be left with clarified butter, which is going to be yellow in colour.
Now, as you have got the clarified butter, it’s time to add spices to it like BBQ rub, parsley, crab seasoning, and lemon juice.
Mix all these things really well until they are well combined.
Step 3 – Dip the legs in the batter
Step 4 – Smoke the crab legs
Set the temperature to 250 degrees F before smoking the crabs. Always make sure the smoker is set to the right temperature before you start to smoke crab legs.
If the temperature is too high you could get them overcooked, So for that reason maintain the temperature.
At 250 Degrees F, it would take around more or less 30 minutes for the crabs to be smoked. Time may vary depending on the size of the crab.
Step 5 – Basting the crab legs
Step 6 – Serve
Tips For Making The Best Smoked Crab Legs
- King or Snow? If you are thinking which crab is better, the snow crab or king crab? Snow crab is a better option in every aspect. It is easy to find and it is also very affordable. They are smaller in size, but have long legs and their shells are also weak so they can be opened easily.
More Great Smoked Seafood Options:
If you’re looking to try other smoked seafood recipes, then you must give a try to our Smoked Cod, Smoked Shrimp, or Grilled Salmon recipes. They are healthy and easy to make.
Smoked Crab Legs Recipe
- Wood chunks (Cherry)
- BBQ Grill Accessories (Basting Brush, Tongs, etc.)
- Mixing Bowl
- 10 lbs Snow Crab Legs
- Clarified butter
- 2 tbsp BBQ Rub
- 1 tbsp Dried Parsley
- 1/2 Crab/Shrimp Boil seasoning
- Lemon juice
- Prepare the charcoal smoker. Preheat it to 250 degrees F for indirect cooking. For smoke flavor, use a chunk of cherry wood this will give the crab legs an amazing flavor.
- Take a saucepan, place it on low heat, add butter to it and melt it. Once the butter is melted, add BBQ rub, Parsely, Crab boil seasoning, and lemon juice in a mixing bowl and add the melted butter to it. Combine them well by stirring them.
- As the butter mixture is ready it is time to drench the crab leg clusters in this mixture. Place the butter mixture in a pan and dip the crab legs in it. Save the remaining butter for basting.
- It’s time to get the crab legs smoke, place them on the grill, and put them in the smoker box for about 30 minutes. While it is getting smoked use the remaining butter mixture to baste it after every 10 minutes.
- Take the legs out of the smoker after 30 minutes make sure they are steaming hot. Serve these steaming hot smoked crab legs instantly with cocktail sauce, drawn butter, and lemon slices.