Hamburgers are a summertime staple. And though it might be first instinct to just fire up the BBQ for your burgers, we’re encouraging you to give Smoked Hamburgers a try. This recipe gives your burgers that delicious wood-fired flavour that you didn’t know you needed!
How to make Smoked Burgers
Below is everything you’ll need to know to make perfect Smoked Hamburgers on your pellet grill, offset, or charcoal smoker. Our favourite thing is that making smoked burgers is just as easy as making them on the BBQ but soooo much tastier.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Cook Temperature: 225ºF
- Finished Temperature: 145ºF
- Wood Flavor: Competition Blend
- Servings: 4 people
- Your preference of smoker (I recommend a pellet smoker)
- Commercial grade tinfoil
- Temperature probe
- 1 pound of ground beef
- 1 egg
- 1 batch of Not Just Pork Rub
- In a bowl, mix together the ground beef and the egg. Divide into 4 portions and shape each into a patty. Season each patty with the rub seasoning.
- Start your smoker and get the temperature stable at 225ºF.
- Place the burgers directly on the grill and smoke for 45 minutes at 225ºF.
- Once your burgers reach an internal temperature of 140ºF, add cheese or anything else you’d like to melt onto your burgers.
- At the internal temperature of 145ºF, your burgers are done. Pull them off the smoker and serve with a cold beer!
BBQ Hero Tip: We love a crispy bun for our burger! So we throw cut and buttered buns on the grill for a couple minutes at the end of the smoke to get the perfectly toasted burger bun.
Can you smoke burgers from frozen?
You bet! In fact, it’s dead simple to cook burgers from frozen and they’re delicious every time. Just get your grill up to 225°F, throw your frozen patties on the smoker and give them about an hour to cook. Once they reach an internal temp of about 165°F, they’re done!
Can you cook burgers in a smoker?
Absolutely! And contrary to popular belief, it’s not any more work than cooking your burgers on a traditional BBQ grill. Plus, we’re pretty confident that you’ll feel like the king or queen of the BBQ when you dish out a plate of delicious smoked burgers.
How long does it take to cook hamburgers?
As with most recipes, time to cook isn’t as reflective of a dish being ready as internal temperature is. That being said, at our recommended smoke temperatures of 180ºF and 400ºF, your smoked burgers should be ready in about 45 minutes.
Do you flip burgers when smoking?
As long as you are smoking your burgers directly on the grill, there’s no need to flip! How convenient is that? No more guessing on when to flip the burgers.
How long does it take to smoke burgers at 225?
If you’re going to smoke your hamburgers at the same consistent temperate of 225°F for the entire cook, it takes about 1 hour to take a quarter-pound hamburger and cook it to about rare or medium-rare. Also, we highly recommend searing your burger to keep it all together and give it a nice crunch.
Are smoked burgers good?
Absolutely! Smoked burgers are so good that if you compare them to the hamburgers you cook on a traditional gas BBQ, you’ll probably throw out your BBQ. Smoked burgers have so much flavour (even from frozen burgers), it’s an easy win for the entire family.