Brats (Bratwurst) are a staple grilling meat for any major sporting event or get-together! If you’ve been to a pre-game tailgate party or spent time at any outdoor BBQs, you’ve most likely enjoyed the delicious and juicy flavors a smoked brat has to offer.
Today, we’re going to give you some easy instructions on how you can smoke your very own brats at home and become a BBQ Hero to your friends and family. This smoked brat recipe is so easy, you won’t even miss a minute of the pre-game show!
How to make Smoked Brats
Smoking Brats is so easy that even the most beginner of Pitmasters can make a delicious brat. With so many different brat flavors available at your local grocery stores, there is no limit to the types of brats you can smoke on your pellet smoker or charcoal grill.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 60 minutes
- Cook Temperature: 225ºF
- Finished Temperature: 160ºF
- Wood Flavor: Competition or Maple
- Servings: 2-10 people
- Your preference of smoker (I recommend a pellet smoker)
- BBQ Tongues
- Portable Meat Temperature
- 1-2 packages of pre-made Brats
- BBQ Sauce (optional)
- Start your smoker and get the temperature stable at 225ºF.
- Place your brats on the grill and make sure there’s at least half an inch of space between them.
- Close the lid and let your brats soak up some smoke for 45 minutes
- Once your smoked brats reach an internal temperature of 140ºF, increase the heat of your smoker to 350ºF
- Once your smoked brats reach an internal temperature of 160ºF, pull them off the smoker and let them rest for 5min.
- Crack a beer and enjoy the best tasking smoked brats you’ve ever had!
BBQ Hero Tip: If you like BBQ sauce on your smoked brats, try adding some BBQ sauce onto your brats right before you crank the heat. The increased heat will help caramelize the BBQ sauce to the brat and give you a whole new mouth-watering flavor!