Allow your grill to do all the work of making the perfect steak. Reverse Sear Steaks are one of the tastiest ways to enjoy a steak. The meat absorbs and traps in the perfect amount of smoky flavor. It might sound intimidating, but this easy-to-follow recipe will guarantee great results for even the most novice of meat smokers.
How to make Reverse Sear Steak
Below is everything you’ll need to know to make the perfect Reverse Sear Steak on your pellet grill, offset or charcoal smoker. Whether you’re making this for a family BBQ or date night, this is sure to be a hit.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 1 to 2 hours
- Total Time: 1 to 2 hours
- Cook Temperature: 180ºF and 450ºF
- Finish Temperature: 145ºF
- Wood Flavor: Oak
- Servings: 4 people
- Your preference of smoker (I recommend a pellet smoker)
- Commercial grade tinfoil
- Temperature probe
- 4 (4 ounce) sirloin steaks
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 4 tablespoons of butter
- Start your smoker, grab your pellets, and get the temperature stable at 180ºF.
- Rub the steaks all over with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Place the steaks directly onto the grill and smoke until the internal temperature reaches 135ºF.
- Remove the steaks from the girl and place a cast-iron skillet on the grill. Increase the temperature to 450ºF.
- Place the steaks in the skillet and add 1 tablespoon of butter to the top of each steak. Cook until the internal temperature reaches 145ºF. Make sure to flip once after 2-3 minutes.
- Remove the steaks, serve, and enjoy!
BBQ Hero Tip: Try throwing some fresh rosemary or garlic into your cast iron skillet for added flavor.